• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phoenix in stasis....or not?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
My Dad called this morning (buns are staying with parents) because Phoenix wasnt interested in eating and was lying fairly flat on the platform at the back of the cage.

I advised him to give her tummy rubs and offer her some veg, which he did and she tollerated the rubs well. she perked up a bit but still not eating.

He took her to the vets - everything normal, good gut sounds, acting normally again, no difference between Phoenix and Indi except slightly lower rectal temp.

Didn't give her any treatment as there were no clinical signs - she hopped around normally and groomed herself.

They're now back home and both eating hay. Indi has eaten some carrots dad offered, but Phoenix isnt interested. He's monitoring her for now, and the vet said he can go back any time today with no extra charge.

So is it just a passing thing? why isnt she eating the carrot now, but happy eating hay? dental pain?

Did the vet say if his tummy felt gassy?

If he is totally fine otherwise, it might just be that they are being fed too much food, so don't rush for food at meal times? :?

Sooty was like this with her teeth the other day? She ate very little and was laying flat at the bottom of her cage, flopped and relaxed but just wouldnt eat :? - just a thought?? Did they look at her teeth?
Hope she perks up soon!

I spoke to the vets on the phone, he didnt say anything specific about teeth, just that everything was fine otherwise.

I have wondered on and off if Phoenix has a dental issues, dont know why, just a vague feeling. she did go through that phase of eating the furniture a few weeks back, but that could have been anything....

i will ring home again in a few hours and see how she is.

Did the vet say if his tummy felt gassy?

If he is totally fine otherwise, it might just be that they are being fed too much food, so don't rush for food at meal times? :?

He said she had good borborygmi (i love that word, just posh for "gut sounds") and at the same rate etc as Phoenix so nothing significant. Nothing about gas in particular.

When Daisy has a stasis episode she won't eat but wants to flop, hide and is lethargic! When Dudley had his tooth problem he acted totally normally but just refused food and oddly he stopped eating his veg before giving up on hay and hard treats?! The vet looked for all normal signs eyes, nose, front teeth condition and used the metal stick in ya mouth thingy etc and thought his teeth looked fine it wasn't till he put him under for a few secs he saw a tiny spur on a back tooth! So could be a teefy problem?!

When Daisy has a stasis episode she won't eat but wants to flop, hide and is lethargic! When Dudley had his tooth problem he acted totally normally but just refused food and oddly he stopped eating his veg before giving up on hay and hard treats?! The vet looked for all normal signs eyes, nose, front teeth condition and used the metal stick in ya mouth thingy etc and thought his teeth looked fine it wasn't till he put him under for a few secs he saw a tiny spur on a back tooth! So could be a teefy problem?!

Hmmmm......we'll see how she goes. If she's totally fine tonight and tomorrow then i'll pass it off as one of those things.

If she's still not right or it happens again i'll get them to take aproper look at her teeth

Chloe has done this to me a few times :( I have often taken her to the vets for her to appear fine when she gets there and me feel pretty silly. It has usually turned out to be gas. Lots of feeling better vibes from all here

Chloe has done this to me a few times :( I have often taken her to the vets for her to appear fine when she gets there and me feel pretty silly. It has usually turned out to be gas. Lots of feeling better vibes from all here

Yeah, thats what happened last time to me. Might just have to educate the parents on tummy rubs and snuggle safe usage!

The 1st. thing I thought of was a bit of gas.

I've noticed that dental buns are often sligtly different in which type of food they stop eating 1st. Mine is unusual in that he stops drinking 1st. so he eats more fresh food & less dry. He also alternates between days when he eats normally, & days when he eats little, so poops are variable in size. [I assume it lets his mouth recover from discomfort]

"Chewy" behaviour can signify several things. It's most likely to happen if I'm worried about something. I reckon that all buns are slightly different.

I so agree that it needs a GA to exclude dental issues completely.
Please let us know how things get on.

Hi :wave: Hayden and Dudley have done this a couple times. I have put it down to gas as they have been fine the next day, obviously not taking Hayden's current illness in to account.
I would definately keep an eye on her though because it could be nothing or it could turn in to something bigger because Hayden's gut sounds and everything were fine the first day.
It sounds like she is still bright though so that's a good sign so fingers crossed she just has a little gas and will be absolutely fine in the morning.

I paid £123 at the out of hours vets for a rabbit with wind!!!! I don't begruge paying that if little Lola's life was in danger but do you think I was too quick to rush her to the vets. She was fine in the morning but by 6.30 when I found her she was lethargic and off her food. How long does everyone recommend leaving a rabbit before taking to vet??

U/D from Dad - i do have a Mum btw, but she is very poorly on the sofa (happy valentine's day to them!) and they girls live in Dad's office so he does most of the bun care - Phoenix is now back to normal, squabbling over the pellets and nicking food out of Indi's mouth! :lol::lol::lol:

I am thinking it is just gas, but will make a note in the diary just to check if it happens more frequently or associated with anything else.

FYI the new massive shed thingy was installed today - dad and 4 other men lifted in through the fence of next doors garden - will upload pics when i get them!

I paid £123 at the out of hours vets for a rabbit with wind!!!! I don't begruge paying that if little Lola's life was in danger but do you think I was too quick to rush her to the vets. She was fine in the morning but by 6.30 when I found her she was lethargic and off her food. How long does everyone recommend leaving a rabbit before taking to vet??

Think mine was £90, as its sunday morning. think it was about 2 hours between first finding her and taking her down - after lots of food temptation, tummy rubs and snuggle safe. So i guess you can try home remedies and allow a little time, as long as they dont deteriorate. i think because Phoenix was lying quite flat that we didnt want to leave it too long.

U/D from Dad - i do have a Mum btw, but she is very poorly on the sofa (happy valentine's day to them!) and they girls live in Dad's office so he does most of the bun care - Phoenix is now back to normal, squabbling over the pellets and nicking food out of Indi's mouth! :lol::lol::lol:

I am thinking it is just gas, but will make a note in the diary just to check if it happens more frequently or associated with anything else.

FYI the new massive shed thingy was installed today - dad and 4 other men lifted in through the fence of next doors garden - will upload pics when i get them!

That's great news :D:thumb:

Think mine was £90, as its sunday morning. think it was about 2 hours between first finding her and taking her down - after lots of food temptation, tummy rubs and snuggle safe. So i guess you can try home remedies and allow a little time, as long as they dont deteriorate. i think because Phoenix was lying quite flat that we didnt want to leave it too long.
Yes!! Lola went between stretching out flat to hunching up to stretching out again. I didn't think of using snuggle safe or giving tummy rubs. She was shaking too. I thought she might be cold so I put a teatowl over her!!! She looked like Mary in a school play! Next time I'll try a tummy rub and her snuggle safe and leave it maybe an hour or so but no longer.

Glad yours is fine again.

Great news about the shed. Does that mean they're coming home then?

I know of 3 other buns with a good relationship with their owners, who get gut issues if their owners have to be away for 24 hours, are poorly, or under alot of stress. [A very small sample I know] I thought it was an issue for those with single buns, but on reflection it happens less frequently, but still happens when the buns have had partners. Just wonder if Indie's issues are because he's missing you?

Hoping your Mum & Indie both get well soon.

Back