• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food ideas for fussy bunster?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Leo *still* isn't eating his food properly :roll:. He's had several different types of muesli (he only eats the seeds and the colourful green bits), I've tried him with SS, PAH pellets, burgess pellets. Non of them are being eaten.

So I'm at the end of my teather plus not to mention I've got so many half used bags of food dotted around.

What would you do? Is it okay to have a rabbit who purely lives on a diet of hay and veggies? He's even fussy with his veggies though. Kale always seems to go like a shot but I've heard that that's high in calcium?

I feel like I'm starving the poor little guy because as soon as I put in some nomnoms he's in there like a shot? I just want to make sure that he's got a well rounded diet.

Has he been to the vets to rule out dental problems? He sounds EXACTLY like my girl when I first got her. Refused to eat certain foods and she ended up losing a hell of a lot of weight at the end of it, to the point where she was anorexic. Vets said she had interlocking spurs, but she wasn't going to operate just yet because Noisette was just recovering from statis, and me and the vet knew we would no doubt lose her if she went under GA. Her teeth have improved SO MUCH by her grass eating to the point she doesn't need to be operated on!

What mix are you feeding? I only feed mine mix now, just because Noisette turns her nose up to everything else. She loves Rabbit Royal and Wagg Mix :wave:

Im having similar problems with Cotton. He will only eat pellets if its half and half with the mix, but if its just pellets he doesnt want it.

Leo won't even eat pellets! He routes through his bowl and throws it all over the show but the pellets are always left. Some days it's hard to tell if he's even eaten anything.

I've got Wagg and also a burgess muesli mix which smells of bananas and CAN'T be good for him. It's so sickly smelling but it's what I've had the most progress with (most being a few seeds).

I took him to the vets who did a check up on him and said that he seems lively enough but gave me some critical care (he wasn't having any of that either) and also some bi-lapis. I'm getting him neutered soon so do you think it'd be worth requesting that they take a proper look at his teeth when he's under? I'm not too sure if I'm happy leaving it for a few weeks though (he's not even got his plums yet!). He's not showing any signs of being unwell other than that though?

What about only giving him a small amount of mix and leaving it until he's eaten it all.....mix is probably better than him not having any dry food at all :? :)

What about only giving him a small amount of mix and leaving it until he's eaten it all.....mix is probably better than him not having any dry food at all :? :)

I tried doing that but it got to the three day point when it wasn't going down. I just felt like I was starving him :?

I would definitely get a good examination of his teeth, just so you can rule that out. Have you noticed him losing any weight as well?

I would just give him anything he wants to be honest so he doesn't go hungry. I know it doesn't help him being fussy, but its better than him losing weight and him going hungry. This is what I would personally do in all honesty...

Try different types of hay and increase veggies and herbs in his diet too and see if that helps!

Pie refused to eat anything but pure dried grass and veggies for the first 4 months at home!
She came around eventually, but it took alot of trial and error and some very expensive food and vet tests (she was perfectly healthy).
Even now she only eats a certain brand of hard food.

I would definitely get a good examination of his teeth, just so you can rule that out. Have you noticed him losing any weight as well?

I would just give him anything he wants to be honest so he doesn't go hungry. I know it doesn't help him being fussy, but its better than him losing weight and him going hungry. This is what I would personally do in all honesty...

I'm in a similar situation with Sooty, who normally LOVES her food (all of it!) and eats plenty of hay. This past week though I've noticed her eat less hay. Took her to the vets who visually checked and couldnt see anything wrong with her teeth and nothing with her gums that would show a root problem :?

She's got worse over the past couple of days - more picky about her pellets and her veg - so something is obviously wrong. We're off to the vets this afternoon again. In the meantime, I've fed her anything she would eat - getting food in more important than 'sensible' diet. Apart from the not eating, she seems fine, has been happily playing in the garden in the mornings etc :?

Like you I had wanted to wait til she was spayed - I was going to request an x-ray then cos I had a niggling suspicion there was something wrong with her teeth. Looks like we cant wait that long...

Back