• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One, two, three...Four?

I know that if we had it our way, we'd have hundreds! But realistically, can someone list the pro's and cons of having

One bun

Two buns

Three buns

Thanks! :)

xx

One bun - Gets Lonely, everybun needs somebun!

Two Buns - Perfect :love: They'll be loved up.

Three buns - One may feel left out, however they can be loved up like my 3... but not as loved up a pair would be.

Four buns - Also good, as its an even number, no-one will be left out, and buns like to live in groups :wave:

One bun - Gets Lonely, everybun needs somebun!

Two Buns - Perfect :love: They'll be loved up.

Three buns - One may feel left out, however they can be loved up like my 3... but not as loved up a pair would be.

Four buns - Also good, as its an even number, no-one will be left out, and buns like to live in groups :wave:

Thanks! Would it work if say, I started with two litter-mates (boys to be neutered) And then perhaps in a year added two desexed boys/girls?

Don't want to start with four as I want to be able to give my full attention as a newish owner (I had one bun who slept in my room, but I never successfully litter trained him.) I want to be able to be the absolute best bunny owner I can be.

Thanks! Would it work if say, I started with two litter-mates (boys to be neutered) And then perhaps in a year added two desexed boys/girls?

Don't want to start with four as I want to be able to give my full attention as a newish owner (I had one bun who slept in my room, but I never successfully litter trained him.) I want to be able to be the absolute best bunny owner I can be.

Get a pair, either boy-girl, boy-boy, or girl-girl. Get them neutered, jabs etc.
Then go on to think about adding another pair.

If i was going to have four, then i would choose 2 of each gender.

I was only meant to have 1, then he was lonely so we got two. Then Bungle arrived as a foster and never left. Then the two fell out so I have 3 singles so need 3 more!

Be careful, one easily turns into more!!!

Get a pair, either boy-girl, boy-boy, or girl-girl. Get them neutered, jabs etc.
Then go on to think about adding another pair.

If i was going to have four, then i would choose 2 of each gender.

What age will they need to be de sexed to not make babies if I get one of each gender?

yes be careful :lol::lol:

I started with one got her a husBun, then aquired another so now have 3

tried to bond 3 but only 2 bonded so now have a pair and a single, who i will have to get a girlfriend for so will end up with 4!

would love a group of 4 but knowing me it wouldnt work and I would end up with a 3 and a 1 then I would have to get another for the single...

... and so it goes on .....:lol:

We started with a pair and now have 17! :lol:

I agree that a male/female pair is the best bet, especially if you are new to bunnies.

A lone bunny would, IMO, be the worst scenario.

one bun can so easily turn in to 4 especially if you know Kayj - every time one of mine went for a holiday they came back with a partner :lol:
I had one then got him a partner from Kayj (another male and they get on really well) then I got Sparkle from Kayj (she was a house bun who had to go in to rescue when her owners had to move to Australia) and then I got Oscar (from Kayj) as friend for Sparkle.
Although 2 live outside and other other 2 inside I am so lucky as they all get on and play out together even though they live most of the time as 2 bonded pairs - but four is my limit are you listening Kayj :lol:

What age will they need to be de sexed to not make babies if I get one of each gender?

Could you go to a rescue centre? Not sure whether that's feasible where you live or not, but if so you could adopt an already neutered and bonded pair in need of a home :D

If you get young rabbits then you will need to keep them separately and get them neutered - boys it's as soon as their plums drop, girls, usually five or six months of age.

EXCITING NEWS!!!

My mother contacted a breeder...She has standard cashmere lops which should be ready in two months. Mum put a deposit down for one so far. This was all a surprise. This wasn't my ideal situation, but this is what appears 'to be.'

Here is the breeders website:

:love:http://www.beksbunnies.com/:love:

Definately think a Pair are the way to go, for now until you gain more knowledge.

However with a four you need to remember the dynamics of the group. I have had a 4 in the past, when one passed away it started fighting between the three, as the one who passed was the dominant one who kept the rest in line. I have since tried to bond another 4 with 2 of the original buns and another pair, but the boy of the original pair is having none, so I ended up with a pair and a three:roll:

At one point I had two singles and two pairs, which is not an ideal situation when trying to make buns happy:roll:

have you tried a rescue near you? :(
Theres lots of needy buns out there that need a forever home too. :cry:

I did originally, but there were no buns in my local rescue. I was planning to wait until some came in but my mother has already put down a deposit..

Is it really bad to get a bunny off a breeder? :( She emailed me, seems truly lovely.

I did originally, but there were no buns in my local rescue. I was planning to wait until some came in but my mother has already put down a deposit..

Is it really bad to get a bunny off a breeder? :( She emailed me, seems truly lovely.

No buns in your rescue?? Blimey there are rescues on here with LOADS of bunnies - so many they cant take them all in sometimes!!

Its totally up to you what you do but if it was me personally I would never get another animal from a breeder knowing what I know now that Rescues are full to bursting (Mainly Due to Breeders!! :cry:).
There are some 'good' breeders out there but also some very bad...
The decision is yours of course. Good Luck x

No buns in your rescue?? Blimey there are rescues on here with LOADS of bunnies - so many they cant take them all in sometimes!!

Its totally up to you what you do but if it was me personally I would never get another animal from a breeder knowing what I know now that Rescues are full to bursting (Mainly Due to Breeders!! :cry:).
There are some 'good' breeders out there but also some very bad...
The decision is yours of course. Good Luck x

I'm not sure why there's no rabbits in our local rescue...I actually checked Aussie PetRescue and there's only three bunnies....None of them suitable for my lifestyle. THREE in the entire state! I like to think that's because there's lots of good parents arounf here. :( sadly there's hundreds of guinea pigs, I'm hoping to adopt and foster once my bunnies have settled. (Different enclosure.) Literally overflowing with cavies. It's tragic. :(

Back