• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 3 years too much age gap?

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
Hi

I know it's really soon, but it's tearing me apart seeing Nick alone again. I remember how sad he was when he lost Mags, and he keeps giving me that sad look that breaks my heart.

The situation currently, is this... I have 2 does, due to be neutered in the next few months.

Sally, who is a very healthy 7 year old, who I took in temporarily, and was planning on rehoming once her weight was down and she is neutered in the spring. But if I can bond them, she can stay.

Gemma, 8 months old, being neutered in 2 weeks, but is only living here until her owner is old enough to leave home and I can be sure that he will be able to care for her without my supervision.

I have a bonded pair, who are very happy as just a pair, and despite several attempts on different occasions, will not accept Nicholas into their group.

I really shouldn't take any more buns on, I'm struggling with the ones I have due to personal reasons. But I dont want to leave Nick alone. If I bond him to Sally, do you think a 3 year age gap would just line him up for more grief?

So that makes him 4yrs? If it were me I'd try it, after all they are both on the mature side, so it's not like you're putting her with a baby who could be a bit too excitable for her.

My bridge bunny Missy had three husbuns before she passed at 9yrs. I don't believe it did any harm, she used to enjoy washing and fussing over each of them.

I always try to keep the buns in pairs of similar ages where possible for the reason you said about them loosing another bunny too soon.

But there are times where temperament and needs become more important. If you can't take on another bunny then bonding him with a current bunny would be much better than a life alone even if she is a little older :)

Also it doesn't always work out thet the oldest bun is the first to leave a pair :(

I am sure it will work out fine and it will be great for Sally to get a forever home with you :D

I always try to keep the buns in pairs of similar ages where possible for the reason you said about them loosing another bunny too soon.

But there are times where temperament and needs become more important. If you can't take on another bunny then bonding him with a current bunny would be much better than a life alone even if she is a little older :)

Also it doesn't always work out thet the oldest bun is the first to leave a pair :(

Totally agree with that, when Fluff's lost Blackie about 10 years ago, we spent ages ruling out buns on the basis of their age- we wanted one age matched.

The pairing didn't work out anyway, but we lost Fern (his would have been wife) age 3.5... Fluffs was 3 himself... and he's still happy and healthy 9 years later... You just never know!!

Thanks guys

That's decided then. Sal wont be neutered till spring, so she can come indoors for recovery then back out afterwards. But Nick will be a toy boy. :)

Back