• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pooing

moss

Alpha Buck
Hello! :wave:

Just a quick question - how many hours would you go without your bun pooing before you start to get worried?

Hmmm I'm not sure to be honest! I read somewhere that a rabbit takes 30 minutes to get somthing from one side of the digestive tract to the other. But I know with Oz I've had him snuggled up, or he's hid in his castle for up to 3 hours without running out to go wee or poo. I'm not an expert, someone else on here most likely knows more. But I'd say...6?

Think it depends on what's normal for your rabbit? Personally, I start panicking if there is no sign of any droppings after a few hours. Is your rabbit eating and otherwise acting normally?

Hopefully someone more experienced will respond soon!

It depends on what is normal for your bun.
Bunnies tend to sleep a lot during the day so I would not be concerned if you do not see a lot of output during the hours of 12-4 as a rough guild.
I have been told that it takes a healthy and unblocked bun 4 hours to digest so if they go any longer than 4 hours i may be worth a call to the vets.

This is a tricky one I think, eating is the thing I would watch more for first I think, basically if they aren't eating then they won't poo and not eating will happen first I would think. I would say after 4 hours it is worth encouraging eating and drinking and moving around and then if in another 2-3 hours no poops or not eating independantly then it's vet time to check for obstruction before treating for stassis etc I think it has to be based on your knowledge of your rabbit though, out of character behaviour is something I think you just know if the rabbit is different, your instincts sort of tell you. It's important not to panick but, equally not to be complacent I think.

Thank you all for your responses, it's much appreciated :)

The reason I ask is because I cleaned their litter trays out at 1pm today and they didn't go until about 7! They were eating and drinking as normal and were fine within themselves - binkying and charging around the living room, but I was starting to panic a little bit. They have actually both done loads of normal looking poos since 7, so I'm no longer worried, but just wasn't too sure how long it would be until I'd need to properly worry and do something about it.

This happened once before, about 9 months ago when I only had one bun, she had been out in the garden in the morning (she is a house bun) and I'm not sure if she had eaten something that hadn't agreed with her. I got really panicky as she hadn't been for a poo for hours, and seemed a little hunched. I eventually got my other half to give her a gentle tummy massage, and immediately after he did this, she did what could only be described as a ridiculous excuse for a poo. We gave her another little tummy massage and left her for half an hour, then when we came back, she'd done loads and seemed a bit happier.

Neither of them *touch wood* have ever been ill or had any sort of diarrhea, so there shouldn't be anything underlying that would affect them.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought! :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses, it's much appreciated :)

The reason I ask is because I cleaned their litter trays out at 1pm today and they didn't go until about 7! They were eating and drinking as normal and were fine within themselves - binkying and charging around the living room, but I was starting to panic a little bit. They have actually both done loads of normal looking poos since 7, so I'm no longer worried, but just wasn't too sure how long it would be until I'd need to properly worry and do something about it.

This happened once before, about 9 months ago when I only had one bun, she had been out in the garden in the morning (she is a house bun) and I'm not sure if she had eaten something that hadn't agreed with her. I got really panicky as she hadn't been for a poo for hours, and seemed a little hunched. I eventually got my other half to give her a gentle tummy massage, and immediately after he did this, she did what could only be described as a ridiculous excuse for a poo. We gave her another little tummy massage and left her for half an hour, then when we came back, she'd done loads and seemed a bit happier.

Neither of them *touch wood* have ever been ill or had any sort of diarrhea, so there shouldn't be anything underlying that would affect them.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought! :)

Oh good glad they are OK, don't forget they may have eaten a caecatroph in that time aswell so were digesting that possibly. Yum :lol:

Glad they are okay. My two don't usually produce any normal droppings from about 11am till 4/5pm-ish normally. But they are such a worry sometimes aren't they!!!

They are indeed, the little cheekies, but they're so worth it. They're going away to be bonded in a weeks time - I'm so nervous. They're two girls, so I'm hoping they'll be OK! I just feel so guilty having to get them out separately all the time :(

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I've also got two little girls - two sisters, both eight months. They are indoor rabbits and they started fighting after only two weeks of having them. We had to clear out our spare room and give them half each with a puppy pen seperating them. This seems to have worked well and they sit next to each other and groom through the bars but if one gets into the other's territory they fight - it's awful! We've had one of them neutered and intend getting the other one done in the next few months (need to let my nerves settle after first neutering first though - Faith, our rabbit wasn't very well for a few days afterwards, and then she pulled all her stitches out)!! Total stress!

Good luck with the bonding!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I've also got two little girls - two sisters, both eight months. They are indoor rabbits and they started fighting after only two weeks of having them. We had to clear out our spare room and give them half each with a puppy pen seperating them. This seems to have worked well and they sit next to each other and groom through the bars but if one gets into the other's territory they fight - it's awful! We've had one of them neutered and intend getting the other one done in the next few months (need to let my nerves settle after first neutering first though - Faith, our rabbit wasn't very well for a few days afterwards, and then she pulled all her stitches out)!! Total stress!

Good luck with the bonding!

Yes, mine have bitten each other through the bars! Fortunately, they've not done any damage to each other, but I hope it doesn't mean that the bonding may take longer as a result.

Sorry to hear that Faith's op caused her some problems - perhaps you could see if there is another vet in the area that does the stitches internally - my buns were both done by the same vet 9 months apart, and they had some kind of internal stitching so there's no chance of them pulling them out and they don't need to be taken in to have them out! The wounds were very neat and healed very well, I was really impressed :)

Our vet mentioned intradermal (I think was what she called them?) stitches after Faith pulled hers out. So we'll definitely opt for that next time. I don't know why they don't do that in the first place - would have saved a lot of stress! She wasn't eating twice in the ten days after her op - we had to syringe feed her on two different occasions. And she had to have a buster collar on - which was horrible!

But yes, definitely will get those ones next time. So is there no risk of them pulling at the wound then or anything and getting it open?

Our vet mentioned intradermal (I think was what she called them?) stitches after Faith pulled hers out. So we'll definitely opt for that next time. I don't know why they don't do that in the first place - would have saved a lot of stress! She wasn't eating twice in the ten days after her op - we had to syringe feed her on two different occasions. And she had to have a buster collar on - which was horrible!

But yes, definitely will get those ones next time. So is there no risk of them pulling at the wound then or anything and getting it open?

Oh no, that sounds awful :( Poor little thing x

Did your vet have her back in for a check up? As a rule at the surgery I use, the have their spay and then they come home the same day. They go back in the following day for a check up and to see if any pain killers are needed (my first girl didn't need any as she was absolutely fine, but my second girl did as she wasn't eating/drinking/pooing), then they go back a week later for a final check and to see how the wound is healing.

I'm sure as there are no stitches they wouldn't be able to pull the wound - mine didn't even try to lick their wounds at all! However, I did give them both a shallower litter tray to help prevent them from straining themselves or catching the wound on the plastic - they normally have higher litter trays with a detachable lip that stops them from kicking it all out, but I think they appreciated the shallower one that they could just step into!

I had her at the vet the day after her spay (as she wasn't eating or producing droppings). She got pain relief and gut motility stuff and we had to syringe feed her. Then I had her back at the vet the Tuesday after that, cause she managed to get one stitch out - they checked it, and it was fine.

Then the Sunday (the day before!!!!) she was due to get the remaining stitches out I had to take her to the emergency vet cause she pulled the rest of the stitches out and no eating/droppings again (not sure if this was coincidence or as a result of the stitches being pulled out). They gave her some anti biotic as the wound was very slightly sticky, some pain relief and some gut motility and we had to syringe feed her again. And then on the Monday (day ten!) she was back for a check up and they said it looked fine, they were happy with it.

It's been about four weeks since her op and she seems to be recovering fine. Only thing I have noticed is that her droppings are darker in colour, not as golden as they were before. But she is eating fine and she is producing droppings so I'm not worrying too much about it...

I think yours must have been spayed at pretty much the same time as mine was! Belle was spayed on Friday 15th Jan and I was given some Zantac on the Saturday to syringe into her to get her going as she wasn't eating/pooing - the vet syringed her the first dose at 9am on the Saturday and she was pooing late afternoon. She also had a shot of pain relief on the Saturday (which my other bun didn't need). She refused to eat any of her pellets/hay until about midnight on the Saturday - so more than 18 hours after her op. She was eating some greens, but I was worried about how much I could feed her without upsetting her tummy.

Both the girls have had their myxi and VHD jabs since then, and they're such happy little things! Bunny's poos are much darker than Belle's - I'm not sure why this is, as they both drink pretty much the same amount of water, have the same amount of veg, and Bunny actually eats more hay than Belle, so I would expect it to be the other way round, if anything, but I guess it's just the norm! :)

this is tricky as I have seen Ling Jai go for a day without poohing before, I did not know it was something to be concerned for at the time, but now I do I will probably be worried for it:shock:

this is tricky as I have seen Ling Jai go for a day without poohing before, I did not know it was something to be concerned for at the time, but now I do I will probably be worried for it:shock:

:wave:Wow, Ling Jai is a cool name! What does it mean? :)

Back