• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toadstool's abscess - thoughts?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
I recently found out that Toadstool had a large abscess but it was internal hence it was lucky I spotted it when I did. He had a lump underneath that I thought initially may be a tumour or a hernia so I rushed him to the vet and found it was an abscess that actually goes right through him from a small scratch on his back downwards. He was given a GA and they lanced and flushed, and he's on 2 mls of septrin twice a day and is being seen by a bunny-savvy vet every few days to be checked. I'm syringing out the contents of the abscess twice a day :mrgreen: and yesterday after emptying what was there as best I could I syringed in some manuka honey (factor 25), which seems to have promoted amazing healing overnight but there's still a lot of discharge in the abscess though it also seems much runnier. Is there any chance he'll ever be abscess-free with such a huge abscess inside him? He's eating well but is thin - the vet said because his body is having to work hard all the time. He's indoors and I'm repeating the honey treatment twice daily.

Anyone have any suggestions for other ways forward/long term prognosis?

I think much will depend on the exact tracking of the abscess :?
Also I think I'd be asking about a different abx- Depocillin probably

I think much will depend on the exact tracking of the abscess :?
Also I think I'd be asking about a different abx- Depocillin probably

What different sorts are there and what are their implications? I'll certainly ask about the depocillin...Thank you!

Back