• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating but picking food up and losing weight

wommbat

New Kit
I am new to here but I have a much loved two year old Ruby, a dwarf lop. About four months ago she started dribbling a lot, losing weight as she wasnt eating, so I took her to the vet and she had a back tooth removed and she was soon back to normal.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that she isnt eating properly, is losing weight again, but isnt dribbling. She will take her favourite foods from us, walks around the house with it, keeping it in her mouth and throwing her head back almost showing us it, but she only seems to have a couple of nibbles, or chews it for a bit before leaving it. Before she would have eaten it quickly.

She is still drinking and still the same loving affectionate rabbit but not as "nosey and mischievous" Instead she is happy to sit at the side of us for hours cuddled up (at the moment she is sat half on my knee and half on the keyboard)

Can rabbits just go off food, or could it be teeth without dribbling, and has anyone else had a rabbit that short of throws her head back with food in her mouth....? I am sat here with her favourite spinach and she has just had a couple of bites and left it.

I will take her to the vets on Monday but just in case anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. I cant stop worrying about my little girl

x

Thank you

I would guess at teeth. The throwing back the head might well suggest its actually incisors this time - she is trying to get it to her back teeth past her front ones. I have a nethie who starts to do the same as soon as her mouth starts playing up. The picking things up and then dropping them is also a classic sign of teeth problems.

Vets ASAP (Monday at latest, sooner if you have a vet that will do this ove rthe weekend) as this sounds like it is quite far progressed and she will be seriously lacking food and will go into stassis.

If you cannot get a vet over the weekend then try softening her pellets into a mush so she can eat them and grate any veg she is used to.

Yes i agree it will be her teeth.
Like Parsnipbun says until you see the vet on Monday you need to soften her food and grate her veg:D

Thank you so much. I mashing as I sit here and will try and feed her with that. Will phone the vet tomorrow and get in with her wherever I can get her.
Will let you know. I do appreciate your advice. T x

Hope all goes well x
All my bunnies have had dental at some point or other,he will be fine:D

Back