• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns have access to a run at all times?

Do your buns have access to a run at all times?

• Yes at all times

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Yes through the day but are shut in at night

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No they have a seperate run

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No they dont have a run

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kaths101

Warren Veteran
If not How big is their hutch and how long do they spend in a run each day?

would a rescue re-home if they didnt have an attached run?

Im just pondering... again :oops:

Last edited:
I said yes. This is the reason I got a kennel so they constantly have acess to a 10ft x 4ft space and part of it is outside. They are also free range as much as possible too.

Our outdoor buns have 6ft x 4ft Wendy Houses with attached 8ft x 5ft runs, which they have permanent access to.

Our indoor buns have their own room and free range when we are home

Last edited:
I have a bonded group of 5 in a 10ft x8ft shed with an attached 8ft x 4ft run.

I shut the door to the run around 11pm each night and it is opened up again aanywhere between 6-8am in the week and perhaps a little later on a weekend.

I know people say that if a run isn't secure of a night then neither is it during the day but I sleep much better knowing they are safely tucked away over night. :)

Jack has a dog crate for a base but he's never shut in it. He has access to the whole room 24/7 and comes out of the room when we are in.

I believe most rescues would require a minimum of a 6x2x2 hutch with attached 6x4ft run . There's just no room in a hutch for a rabbit to bounce about and I for one wouldn't be happy for Jack to only have space to be a rabbit when we chose to give it to him. It's very important to me that I get an outdoor set-up that allows space to zoom about.

Mine have sheds with attached aivery runs but i shut them in at night, it would most likely be fine for them to be out overnight but i like them in for extra piece of mind.

Although we have large aviary style runs I still don't let them out of their hutches at night - I figure what the fox can't see he is not so tempted to try to get to.
So even though the runs are supposedly fox proof (and behind electric wiring) I STILL don't let them out at night. But their hutches are the Forsham xtra large about 8ft by 3ft by 3ft.

we rehome to hutches without attached runs ...

not everyone has the space for a set up with run attached .. also some have free range time in the garden instead .

it depends on the hutch size , ..the whole set up ...and the rabbits in question .

some buns we would insist on the extra space for ...others we know would use it ..

Also with a hutch / run set up with 24/7 access you have the added concerns of safety .

we tend to look at the set up as a whole and which buns it is for and make a decision based on that . ;)

there does have to be a secure garden or seperate safe run for time out of the hutch though if there isnt a run attached .

My foster bunny has a run attached to his hutch which he has access to in the day but lock him in the hutch at night for extra safety. He has a hop (more a run and binky!) around the garden under supervision.

My indoor bunnies have their own room (previously the dining room), access to half the house when we are in and have supervised access to the garden when the weather is OK.

Back