• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice in food!

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
It appears a mouse may have got into bunnys shed and into their treats.... they havent been eaten, but the paper in the bag has been shredded..........

Shall i throw them away? Will it hurt the buns ?

The whole shed is full of hay and food etc- i cant throw it all away......

I would get a sealable plastic container for pellets and treats to be stored in. I have to store my wild bird food in this way as I once found two mice happily sat inside the box of fat balls scoffing away....... :p

Our next door neighbours have had wild mice all over the hutches and inside them too but it doesn't seem to have hurt the buns'. Mice carry far less diseases than rats and in all honesty it would be impossible to keep them out as they can squeeze through a gap of less than 1cm.

I would take all precautions possible with stored food but you won't be able to keep them out. I found some non-nasty mouse preventing things somewhere the other day - let me go google....

ETA: I found them - it's called Mouse Mint - right at the top of the page.

Last edited:
I would get a sealable plastic container for pellets and treats to be stored in. I have to store my wild bird food in this way as I once found two mice happily sat inside the box of fat balls scoffing away....... :p

Our next door neighbours have had wild mice all over the hutches and inside them too but it doesn't seem to have hurt the buns'. Mice carry far less diseases than rats and in all honesty it would be impossible to keep them out as they can squeeze through a gap of less than 1cm.

I would take all precautions possible with stored food but you won't be able to keep them out. I found some non-nasty mouse preventing things somewhere the other day - let me go google....

ETA: I found them - it's called Mouse Mint - right at the top of the page.

ha! thanks....

I dont think it is rats as the shredding of paper seems so delicate! lol

oohhhhhhhhhhhh! I have lots of 'mint hay' in the shed- no wonder they only went into that one bag! the rest have mint based herbs in !

Back