• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house bunny outdoors?

I wondered if anyone had any advice. I have a lovely house bunny called Jaylan who is a Dwarf lop.

He currently lives in my bedroom in a large dog crate, with an extra wooden floor to give him two levels, he then has the freedom to run around my room. However i have an illness which means i can nolonger stand or walk and use a wheelchair. I love his company as i spend a lot of time in my room and he is very clean and fully litter trained, but i have decided i have to be honest with myself and having him live in my room is unhealthy, not only due to his litter trays but there is always lots of fur, and hay everywhere, despite regular brushing, and having a hay rack.
He also really now resticts my movement around my room, its hard to wheel my chair around when he is hopping around me.

An alternative would be to keep him outdoors (there isn't anywhere else in my house he could live and have freedom to run around, he'd just be confinded to his cage otherwise) Can house bunnys adapt to living outdoors?
If so can anyone recomend a hutch that i can clean out, and lift my bunny out of from a wheelchair? I also don't have grass just patio.

Otherwise although it would be heartbreaking i may have to rehome him. I find him very hard work to look after due to my illness, and he might be very difficult to look after when outdoors and if he could go to a loving permanent home, although i'd miss him as he's like a best friend, i would consider it.

Last edited:
Yes they can but not until the weather is better as he wont have a winter coat to cope with the cold temperatures. Also as he wont be getting as much human attention outside it would be nice to consider a wifey bun :D

With regards to a hutch would a hutch on top of a run be the right sort of height to reach from a chair? Maybe a 6ft version of this? http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=70
You can install it so that the hutch is on backwards so the run part isnt in the way. The only prob might be that they come flat packed do you have someone that could build it for you?

Last edited:
Hi,

was ment too post this long time ago.

Is it possible for you too make a pen at one of your room, so theres no chance of your rabbit getting in your way of your wheelchair?

Obviously if you havent got a big room, then thats not an option. But it would be a shame to have to stick him outside.

I have health problems myself and cant get out the house much, so my bunnies bring me so much happiness :)

Hope it works out for you and your bun

Yes it is possible but has to be done slowly. If you have a cold room you could shut him in, that would help him build up a coat. I am currently going through the same thing with mine, they will be going out in a few weeks.

Back