• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried, what do I do?

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
My little fuzzball has poos stuck in his fur on his bum this morning. He was all clean when I put him to bed last night. I cant see any abnormal poo anywhere in the hutch, his tray has a normal number of healthy poos and everything. He seems a little quiet, but then its snowing, so he's probably grouchy he cant run on the patio ( he wont go out if his feet might get wet). I think he's eating normally, he's tucking into his hay. Why has he got a dirty bum? I cant clean it by hand, how should I wash it off? Im worried about it being a sensitive area. What about the cold, he's an outside bunny, I cant leave him damp and if I bring him in he'll adjust to the warm wont he?

:wave: It's possible with the cold he was being a bit lazy and he may not have eaten his caecatroph and it stuck to him. personally I would let it dry and then later very carefully either gently try to ease it off or you may need to cut if off if there is a lot, I agree that if you have snow etc it's not good to have to wet it. You could also try moistening a cotton wool pad with warm boiled water and kind of pinch the poo and hold it so it softens and then gently pull away slowly? Going to have to bring him in the kitchen maybe anyway with the door /window open to do it I would think. It's cold down in Hampshire but, lovely sunshine this morning, just a bit of a breeze, if that dropped with the sun it would be quite pleasant.:D

Cutting :shock: Im not sure I would feel safe cutting anywhere near there, it is dry, but somewhat reluctant to part with him. Bless him, ive got him in the kitchen with the door open to examine him and he's just wanting cuddles. Im a little worried Ill make him sore and hurt him if I poke and prod too much. Ive turned our heating off and opened up the house in an attempt to make it cooler if I have to bring him in whilst I do it. He isnt a young bun, probably about 6 or 7 now.

Cutting :shock: Im not sure I would feel safe cutting anywhere near there, it is dry, but somewhat reluctant to part with him. Bless him, ive got him in the kitchen with the door open to examine him and he's just wanting cuddles. Im a little worried Ill make him sore and hurt him if I poke and prod too much. Ive turned our heating off and opened up the house in an attempt to make it cooler if I have to bring him in whilst I do it. He isnt a young bun, probably about 6 or 7 now.

Your just going to have to be really gentle and try to soften it then, just make sure he is really dry afterwards and when he goes back out has plenty of hay round him to keep warm. I only suggested cutting it if you are confident to do that, I know some are. I haven't had to it myself so I do understand you being a bit nervous it could be tricky, I was thinking if he was relaxed that if you are really slow and careful and keep one hand on him stroking him you might be able with a small pair of nail scissors gently snip without him noticing. I think if your not sure then don't do that, go for the warm water instead. Hold some warm water on kitchen roll or cotton wool on it and see if softens that way.

He has a carpet floor and a mountain of hay so Im hoping his bed will be ok, Ill shut him in when Im done I think. Ive got a bit of warm water and some cloths to try and clean him, and Ill snuggle him in a towel for a bit. It just scares me when they arent right. When I get my own place Ive got to make him a housebun.

He has a carpet floor and a mountain of hay so Im hoping his bed will be ok, Ill shut him in when Im done I think. Ive got a bit of warm water and some cloths to try and clean him, and Ill snuggle him in a towel for a bit. It just scares me when they arent right. When I get my own place Ive got to make him a housebun.

:lol: That sounds like a plan, hope it comes off alright, I know what you mean x

Bless him. I had him carried about in my arms whilst I got stuff sorted, he just snuggles up (kitchen has cables, not bunny safe if Im not there). Turned him upside down in my arm with his bum over the sink to clean him up, washed it off and trimmed a bit of his tail (I think the overkill amounts of fluff he had were catching poo's a bit so he now has a more normal amount of fluff). He lay there in my arms without twitching the whole time. I put him right way up and he just nuzzled up under my chin whilst I dried him off. Couldnt want for a more cuddly bun, he doesnt even hate me for cleaning him. He now has some carrot and fresh picked grass and put away in the warm. Such a little darling.

Back