• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on pet insurance

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in (so please move it if it isn't) but I want some advice on pet insurance.

Pet Plan is the only place I've looked and its about £11 a month for 1 bunny and £20 for 2. My problem is that I aren't entirely sure what is and what isn't covered by insurance in general. I feel Button's (my baby boy) is going to be a problem child and I woudl like to be prepared for the future.

From what I can gather spaying/neutering isn't covered and neither are vaccinations, as these are routine things that you would be having wether you had insurance or not. I also get that pre exsisting conditions aren't covered. Button's has problem front teeth but I am planning on getting these removed within the next month. If he then had problems with his back teeth would these be excluded as he had pre existing dental problems?

Does any one know of anywhere other than pet plan to get rabbit insurance from? I'd like to compare prices if possible. My mum thinks £11 a month is excessive but we've never had pets before so I have nothing to compare it to.

Sorry for the long ramble!

Thanks

no dental work is covered :( although they seem to cover the first one. If it is in the best interests of bun, and under vet advice you 'may' be able to get the extraction through the insurance, however I think it is hit and miss. They paid out on the first dentals for two buns, as it was under investigation and dental problems had never been diagnosed previously. I think the best advise to give is claim no matter what, that way you might get some back, and if you are not expecting it then its a nice surprise.

Other than dentals every thing is covered so long as you are up to date with vaccs etc

No dental at all? That just seems wrong.

I can pay for the extraction of the front teeth myself, we went to the vets today for a check up and he told me what they did and how much it would be. (Frankly the vet has also scared me quite a bit and I'm now really having second thoughts about havign them done)

I haven't got insurance at the moment, but have been putting money the money I would have spent away in a savings fund for vet trips.

I'm really stuck as to what to do for the best now.

have you tried petplan online, you get a 10% discount ive been quoted £9-58 for my bunny, but he has no underlying medical conditions, i think its about £114 a year for him

Back