• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

head tilting and off food UPDATE****

hayleyr

Young Bun
My female lionhead has started tilting her head and is actually finding it difficult to walk, I have brought her indoors away from the other rabbits she shares a home with, she looks dirty as if she hasnt groomed and i am very concerned about her, its quite upsetting to me and my children to see her like this,

Does any body have any suggestions on what I could do, our local vets work on a monday to friday basis.

Last edited:
well i have just gave her some spinach as is it is her favourite but shes not taking to it, shes had a few poops so I would say that is alright, its so wierd they were all playing out the other day and she was fine, last night my son gave them their night feed so I never saw her, I only noticed this today,

I feel gutted I so want her to be okay.

They should have an out of hours service with another vet. If you phone your vets no, are they giving an alternative no to phone.

If not, what part of the country are you in?

I am in Newcastle, the vet I use is the only near by one that deals and knows about rabbits, the only other vet is the PDSA but as we dont get benefits I cant use them :cry:

ETA no they dont give an alternative number just an answer machine.

I think a tilted head usually means EC. You really need to get her to a vet ASAP if she isn't eating. If your usual vet doesn't do out-of-hours emergencies (v. strange!) I'd look through the yellow pages and try and find one which does.

Do you have any panacur at home?

You really do need your bunny to be seen by a vet asap - if she has EC she will probably need panacur, antibiotics & pain relief as head tilt can make them feel very poorly & they can go downhill rapidly :(

Our PDSA vets share the same building as Vets Now who provide the emergency service for our own vets. It might be the same for your practice, as each vets should provide emergency cover of some sort.

I dont have any panacur but my brothers wife had that not so long ago for her rabbit, thats for the worms isnt it, I will ring right away for some off her, do you think it will help.

I have just managed to speak to an out of hours vets and he reckons i should just watch her through the night and bring her in the morning, the morning seems an awful long time away though to me, jeez I cant believe a rabbit has me this worried and upset.

I dont have any panacur but my brothers wife had that not so long ago for her rabbit, thats for the worms isnt it, I will ring right away for some off her, do you think it will help.

I have just managed to speak to an out of hours vets and he reckons i should just watch her through the night and bring her in the morning, the morning seems an awful long time away though to me, jeez I cant believe a rabbit has me this worried and upset.

You need to insist that your Rabbit is seen by a Vet tonight

If she is tilting her head and not eating then tomorrow may be too late :cry:
Sorry to be blunt, but from what you describe your Rabbit needs urgent Veterinary treatment. This may well include hospitalisation. Medication likely to be given is antibiotics (Baytril) a non steroidal anti-inflammatory (Metacam) or *possibly* a corticosteroid instead of Metacam (eg Dexafort),Panacur plus a gut motility stimulant (Metoclopromide), fluid therapy (Hartmanns Solution IV or subcutaneous and supportive feeds (syringe feeds).

Please try very hard to get a Vet to see your Rabbit tonight

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thankyou for your bluntness I really appreciate it, well I have just went to check on her and she is munching her way through some spinach and carrots phew maybe thats a positive sign,

i am not really clued up on the bunnies i sort of ended up with them through default but have grown to love them and spent the money having them neutered etc,

All advice is greatly recieved.

my brother is coming with his panacur for me to give her.
Thing that also concerns me is the other two rabbits that share her home.
Are they safe or should I be giving them panacur too??

UPDATE

Got Poppy seen this morning they have gave her a drip, they say that she has muscle strain and an inner ear infection, giving her antibiotics and I am to collect her at 4 pm this afternoon,
She seemed so much perkier this morning that I feel more relieved for her,

Thanks everyone for the advice, its much appreciated.

UPDATE

Got Poppy seen this morning they have gave her a drip, they say that she has muscle strain and an inner ear infection, giving her antibiotics and I am to collect her at 4 pm this afternoon,
She seemed so much perkier this morning that I feel more relieved for her,

Thanks everyone for the advice, its much appreciated.

How is Poppy doing now ?

Back