• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust Free Hay

lil860

Warren Scout
Has anyone ordered any recently just wanted to know what the quality of it is like before i order some. :D

I've recently had an order of 'stalky' and quite honestly, it's not as good as the previous batch. Some of it was clearly straw-like rather than hay and the buns are not quite as keen - although they still tuck in. I've only opened one sack though so it could just be a dodgy one.

I've recently had an order of 'stalky' and quite honestly, it's not as good as the previous batch. Some of it was clearly straw-like rather than hay and the buns are not quite as keen - although they still tuck in. I've only opened one sack though so it could just be a dodgy one.

I do agree with this.

I had my first order delivered a couple of weeks ago I must admit when I opened it I was disappointed it looked very straw like and no greenness to it I thought the buns would hate it but they love it!!

I agree with the others, the recent quality isnt as good as it was in the past year.
I emailed Norman and he said that they had changed field recently.

I switched to farm hay because I needed loads during the cold weather, but ordered some from Norman last week and thought it was gorgeous! It was the stalky stuff and it smelt so much better than the last 2 bales i had from the farm. The buns don't seem to notice the difference ..they'll eat anything that's vaguely hay shaped!! :lol::lol:

i must admit, the last couple of bags i got from the shop, have been very hard like, and the buns didnt like it :(
So now i have brought wilkos hay and they seem to like that... bargain :lol:

Edit - could the quality of hay be because of the bad weather we've had? :?

i'm glad other people have noticed a difference aswell. recently it has been a bit dusty and the stalky has been more in bits rather than long strands.

bisc and matt aren't eating as much of it as they normally would.

I just had ten bales of stalky delivered, the one I've opened so far looks good to me :) I had some less good quality stuff in my last order from last month though, quite straw-like.

Generally I'm really happy with DFH and the buns love it.

I just had ten bales of stalky delivered, the one I've opened so far looks good to me :) I had some less good quality stuff in my last order from last month though, quite straw-like.

Generally I'm really happy with DFH and the buns love it.

10 bales:shock: How much did that cost you?

Yep, the pack of 10 small ones for £40 :wave:

I used to get the large hessian sack for £26 of stalky, but it's not been available last couple of times I've ordered. Weird thing is, the 10 small bales last me less time than the large sack, even though overall it should be an extra couple of kilograms of hay :? I got through the last 10 in just over three weeks :shock:

Just google 'the dust free hay company' that's it's actual name! They provide hay which has had a lot of the dusty nasty stuff removed they explain the whole process on their site! Those that buy it for buns buy the stalky one!

Just google 'the dust free hay company' that's it's actual name! They provide hay which has had a lot of the dusty nasty stuff removed they explain the whole process on their site! Those that buy it for buns buy the stalky one!

Thank you! Is http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/ the website everyone is talking about? Its the only one I can find

What happens if there is no one available when they try to deliver??

Thanks for the info Boudicca xxx

Yes that's the one :D I would have posted a link but Im using my iPhone and just made a mess of trying to do it on another thread! When you order you have the opportunity of telling them where you'd like it delivered if you're out, I have them leave it in my garage!

I ordered some not long ago, don't think the quality's as good as it has been. My vet's recommended a farm nearby for hay and they do bales of stalky timothy hay for £6.00 so I'm not buying DFH anymore

Although my last batch wasn't as good as normal, my buns STILL prefer the stalky to any other type of hay. They'll just have to put up with it until this summer's harvest!

Back