• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roadkill :(

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Does anybody else get horribly upset about this? To the point that it ruins your day?

My OH and I saw a decapitated deer in the middle of the road on the way back from London today... and it has just ruined the day for me.

I feel so helpless, it makes me hate cars and wonder what right humans have to mess up the natural landscape and the natural order of things with them :(

It would hurt less if we could be sure animals were killed instantly, but sometimes they're just clipped on the side and then left to suffer for hours or days on a motorway. I just can't stand it.

I told me OH how I was feeling and he told me to channel my angst into the 230,000 people dead in Haiti :(

theres a road on the way to canterbury, we once counted one squizzal 2 badgers 8 pheasants 2 rabbits and 3 foxes on one stretch of road and a few other things i couldnt tell, its a terriable stretch of road always had road kill :(

theres a road on the way to canterbury, we once counted one squizzal 2 badgers 8 pheasants 2 rabbits and 3 foxes on one stretch of road and a few other things i couldnt tell, its a terriable stretch of road always had road kill :(

please tell me u said squizzel on purpose, I thought I was the only one that called them that!!

please tell me u said squizzel on purpose, I thought I was the only one that called them that!!

Yup, it's what my son fondly calls them.
We have 6 at the graveyard outside my sons school, we've only managed to name fidget, and fatty. The rest move to fast to get close enough. The named ones will steal monkey nuts from you or stand on your shoes :D,

:lol: knowing you say that, your not going to correct it then :p:lol:

Do you guys not get upset about it?

Or am I silly to get upset about it?

Just a fact of life?

No it is upsetting, more often there isnt alot you can do, especialy on a busy road, quiet ones are not so bad.
Though had a freind try and rescue a badger, even when in pain they give it there all and are quite vicious, managed to throw an old towel over it and put it in the foot well of the car and get it to the vet.

just gives me that horrible dropping feeling in my belly, :cry: I often cycle past these things.. then I get a bit further up the road and some mean car driver tries to make the cyclist road kill:censored:

I remember visiting my friend in Norfolk. The wildlife there was AMAZING. But my friend, and her friends and family paid no attention to it and thought it was funny I was so thrilled by it... To them (my friend and her friends, etc.) the wildlife was just problematic for them and their cars. The roads were honestly dotted all over with dead pheasants, foxes, rabbits, etc. The only thing they DID slow down and take care not to hit were the deer... Not because they liked the deer, but because they worried that in hitting them they'd wreck their car and/or injure themselves. :( I was appalled when they laughed at me for asking if they never get the urge to STOP and check an animal - not one they might hit - but say a body of a fox was alive and unable to move.

I told me OH how I was feeling and he told me to channel my angst into the 230,000 people dead in Haiti :(

I think that was a very hurtful thing for your OH to say. No-one has the right to tell you how to feel - even if they personally feel more for humans than animals. Yes, the Haiti disaster was a terrible thing to happen but, (and I'm prepared to get shot down in flames here), I'm afraid I don't feel emotional about the people there. It's sad but it doesn't keep me awake at night. The thought of animal suffering DOES keep me awake at night. That's just the way I am.

I get very upset about it too. I get really upset that it will keep getting ran over too - I know its already dead and can't feel it but I think feel like its poor body is being disrespected :(

it makes me really angry when people just run over them even if they are dead i always swerve. i saw a pigeon in the road the other day and he was just walking even when i pulled up to him so i just stopped and waiting for him to move lets just say i had a lot of angry people queuing behind me :lol:

Back