• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering an Older Bunny

If he's healthy he should be fine :wave: I don't have any experience though as my boy was done at about 6 months!

He should be fine to be neutered especially as he is male and therefore having a less invasive procedure. 4 isn't considered particularly old. My vets routinely neuter up to 7 years :)

the vet will give him a health check before he is booked in and if all is fine then there shouldn't be a problem

I will say if he is not living with other rabbits and isn't humping you, marking his territory or spraying urine about the place and not behaving aggresively just let him be, I did that with Ling Jai and although he sprayed a few times early doors he was perfect after that:p

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Billie is a good boy. He does hump his teddy bears but he doesn't spray urine. He lives alone and don't plan to have another rabbit. So I was going to leave him as he is but I'm worried he's frustrated and would be happier without these hormones. But then I also didnn't want him to go thru needless pain. So I have put it off and now he's almost 4 years old.

Lynn

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Billie is a good boy. He does hump his teddy bears but he doesn't spray urine. He lives alone and don't plan to have another rabbit. So I was going to leave him as he is but I'm worried he's frustrated and would be happier without these hormones. But then I also didnn't want him to go thru needless pain. So I have put it off and now he's almost 4 years old.

Lynn

I did not decide to put it off, Ling Jai used to live with my freind until he was 4, when he came to me I did not know too much about having him fixed only that people normally did it and at an earlier age, the vet also asked me if I wanted it done, but I thought he was fine as he was, he humped his toy rabbit for a few seconds when he fancied it and that was it, since the turn of the year he's lost interest completely in humping which I put down to old age as he will be 12 years old in a few months;)

Yeah I think I will not have him neutered because he is such a happy little bunny besides his humping, lol. 12 years old eh?! Wow I hope Billie lives that long. So I have 8 more years of humping the teddies. LOL :)

Surely it would be better for him to be castrated, so he isn't getting frustrated humping his teddy. It won't change his personality his hormones just won't be racing.

4years is fine for a neuter, particularly for a buck, provided he has good health.

If he's frustrated then it would be kinder to neuter, and its a fairly simple and routine op for the boys

Back