• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you decide if indoor buns would be better off outside?

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
I just wonder whether Paddy and Peaches would be happier if they lived outside?

Compared to Jose and Rainbow, P&P are more like "proper" rabbits if that makes sense :lol:

Personally I wouldn't let my bunny live outside as one, she is on her own and would get lonely, and two, she has loads more room inside than I could ever afford to let her have outside.
She rules my house and everyone in it lol

i cant imagine having a pet and putting it outside.. so i wouldnt be able to decide why they would be better off... no help at all really am i :oops::oops:

Personally I wouldn't let my bunny live outside as one, she is on her own and would get lonely, and two, she has loads more room inside than I could ever afford to let her have outside.
She rules my house and everyone in it lol

Paddy and Peaches arent people buns, they much prefer each others company to mine :roll: I've got a big garden so plenty of room outside for them to have a shed/run combo

I just dont know what to do, my heads a mess today

matthew and tabitha are proper rabbits (daughter's bunnies are more like animated soft toys!) but they aren't living outside because i like their company. and i know them better, and can look after them better, than if i only saw them for a short time each day.

I thought seriously about putting Jester and Daisy outside last year (think it was either the bed eating or house alarm disconnecting incident that did it :lol: ). Seriously though, having seen how much they enjoyed time in the garden over the summer I thought they might prefer an outdoor life.

But, I'm certain that I don't want to have them as outdoor bunnies now, mostly because I love having them in the house with me and I'm sure they enjoy it too, but also because of my worries over foxes and flystrike and freezing winter nights etc.

They'll still get lots of outdoor play time when the weather warms up, so I think it's the best of both worlds for them :)

i cant imagine having a pet and putting it outside.. so i wouldnt be able to decide why they would be better off... no help at all really am i :oops::oops:

i'm with donna i'm afraid:oops: don't think i can ever face putting my piggies back outside when its warmer either:?

I've been mentally going over this in my head too, lol. 'The plan' was for Jack (and his wife-bun' to be!) to move outside in the Spring when the weather warms up and just have him / them inside for the winter to bond with them.

But John said yet again this morning that he will really miss having him around. I know what he means - Jack's only been with us for about 4 weeks but we've really bonded with him. He free ranges in the pet room with a safety gate so that he doesn't feel totally cut off from us when he's shut in and he comes out for a run round at least every morning and evening. I'm off sick today but couldn't help laughing out loud when he was running full pelt from our bedroom to another room this morning! :lol: :lol:

I am going to wait and see what happens when he's been bonded - but in reality they would have more room outside. I plan on a large kennel-run with a lot of free range time in the garden. Jack is so lively that I think he'd love the extra space to binky about like a maniac and in the summer we spend a lot of time in the garden anyway. But I know what John means - I have fallen head over heels in love with this rabbit! :love:

However; I do think that I'd consider having them in again over Winter as when the days are short they'd have less free range time in the garden anyway and we'd see them a lot less. :D xx

To me; it depends on how much space etc. you can offer. I can't imagine putting Jack in a hutch of any size (no offense to those with hutches, lol!) having seen him zoom about and enjoy the space he has.

I hate having outdoor bunnies but my three seem to really enjoy it. They love lazing in the sunshine and binkying around the grass. Not so much fun for them or me in the winter though. :(

i'm with donna i'm afraid:oops: don't think i can ever face putting my piggies back outside when its warmer either:?

I'd feel really guilty putting them outside, but I just dont think theyve adjusted very well to living inside

They're not the cleanest or tidiest of buns either :? They keep weeing and pooing everywhere

I'd feel really guilty putting them outside, but I just dont think theyve adjusted very well to living inside

They're not the cleanest or tidiest of buns either :? They keep weeing and pooing everywhere

if thats what they're used to, give it a try when the weather picks up (were they outdoor buns before you adopted them?). if neither are people bunnies maybe a shed/run would suit them?

eric's always been inside and i don't know anything about esme's past but she sure loves indoor life:roll:

if thats what they're used to, give it a try when the weather picks up (were they outdoor buns before you adopted them?). if neither are people bunnies maybe a shed/run would suit them?

eric's always been inside and i don't know anything about esme's past but she sure loves indoor life:roll:

yeah they were outdoor buns before i adopted them. I let them out in the living room but they just seem to sit down the side of the settee and hide :(
Neither Paddy nor Peaches are people buns, they tend to steer clear of us unless we have treats :roll:

I've got plenty of room in the garden for a big shed/run combo so the space wouldnt be a problem outside

Jose is definately a people bunny, she loves climbing all over us and coming to say hello :D Rainbow isnt really a people bunny, but he's such a wimp that i dont think he'd cope with being outside (even though he was an outdoor bun before he came to us) his fave spot is flopped out by the radiator so i'd say he definately prefers to be inside

From my experience it really does depend on the bunny. Frankie and Kassy are indoors at the moment and I can tell they miss being outside. Merlin was outside for a while and he gets on better inside. So it really depends on their personalities. All I can suggest is try it and see. Or get two more rabbits to go outside ;)

I would try them outside but allow for the possibility of having back indoors - perhaps over winter as I am thinking about doing. I think an outdoor life is great for a healthy bun' when the weather is milder but it's all this nasty weather that keeps making John say 'I would hate Jack to be outdoors on a night like this!'. (Yes, he is soft. Softer than me I think! :))

So for me I will allow space inside for them to come in over winter - for John's sake if not the rabbits! ;)

I've always had my buns in for winter and out for summer, so they are technically neither, or both, depends how you see it!

I guess thats pretty unusual, but i think its the best of both worlds for them. They get to be warm and dry and get loads of exercise in the winter, when if outside they would be huddled up in their bed all day, but in the summer they get maximum time of warmth and sunlight and good grass!

I guess its expensive to have both set-ups, and you have to adapt them each season, but it doesnt take much and they are still very responsive to me and spend time inside in the summer in the evenings etc anyway.

If your buns go outside and really bomb around and will spend hours mowing the grass, they may well appreciate being outdoor buns, especially if they are not that friendly with you,

When I had my 2 buns, they started off as outdoor bunnies and only became indoor bunnies due to illness. I think if they could have chosen, they would have stayed outdoors, but it wasn't the best thing for them. For me and the OH, we loved having them indoors (apart from the mess/damage!), as they became so much tamer and impossibly cute, but outdoors is a much more natural environment.

It's a tough one!

Back