• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use to clean hutches?

I usually use a dustpan and brush, however they seem to be getting weaker. I had one for about 5 years until it broke, now i've been through 5 in the last few months!! I've just broken my current one and wondered if anyone has any other ideas!!:lol::lol:

At the rescue we use the metal paint scrapers to get right into the corners and to scrape the hutches completely empty, along with an oversized dust pan or metal coal shovels

I use a garden hoover :oops: :lol:
i also disinfect the hutch with jeyes fluid

Last edited:
Thanx guys. I've got scrapers, just fed up of constantly breaking dust pans!! I've never seen oversize ones, where do they come from? Or does anyone know if you can still get metal ones? Last metal one I saw was at primary school lol!! I'm not sure my dyson could cope with anymore hay going up it!!

[QUOTE=losing-the-plot;3594315]Thanx guys. I've got scrapers, just fed up of constantly breaking dust pans!! I've never seen oversize ones, where do they come from? Or does anyone know if you can still get metal ones? Last metal one I saw was at primary school lol!! I'm not sure my dyson could cope with anymore hay going up it!![/QUOTE]
Have you thought of getting one of those ash buckets that are used with vacuum cleaners . I use one to clean out the ash from my woodburner. It's a big metal bucket with a filter in the lid . You'd fix your hoover nozzle in the top, and clean the hutch using the nozel from the dust pan. So the hoover does the sucking and the bucket does the filtering. Everything therefore goes into the bucket and nothing goes into your hoover..as the meerkat would say .."simples"!! :lol::lol:
ETA it a big heavy hose with a wide metal nozzle

Mainly a dustpan and brush, I'm like you though I had pan one for more years than I can remember - the brushed don't last as long (I think it was the old household one before mum changed colours!), bought a new one in the Autumn and that's already borken "they don't make things like they used to..." :lol:

Back