• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smarter/Bigger rabbit breeds?

Hey
I'm going to be getting my second rabbit (R.I.P darling Kai) soon. I was hoping this bunny could be a companion for my very gentle kitten, Walt.

Which bigger breed (3kg and up) is more likely to get along with a kitten (VERY GENTLE kitten) and can be toilet trained for a playpen and homemade cage. (Creative cubes. :))

It wouldn't be a good idea to get a rabbit as a companion to a kitten, however gentle the kitten is. Inter-species relationships don't work out very well as rabbits and cats cannot understand each other's body language. When I just had Daisy she used to try and play with my cats all the time and got very frustrated when they didn't groom her when she wanted them to.

Another cat would be a better companion for your kitten :)

Rabbits are better in pairs too - they need the interaction with their own species and seeing two rabbits happily flopped out together is lovely :)

don't get a rabbit for your kitten. think about what is in that tin of cat food you are about to open....

sorry if that seems harsh, but it is very very true.

Hmmm fair enough points guys.

What if I got a pair of buns and made sure the cat was nowhere near them when I let them out to play? Is that a better idea?

Ha ha mum would loooove that. :p Walt is a good kitty, he has the dog to 'chat' too.

Mum's quite happy for me to get two bunnies. I'm going to make them a home out of creative cubes, and buy them a run to nibble on some grass outsode a few days a week

I forgot what fun planning for a bunny was! :love:

Ha ha mum would loooove that. :p Walt is a good kitty, he has the dog to 'chat' too.

Mum's quite happy for me to get two bunnies. I'm going to make them a home out of creative cubes, and buy them a run to nibble on some grass outsode a few days a week

I forgot what fun planning for a bunny was! :love:

thats great do lots of research first though as rabbits can be much harder work than people realise to stand a good chance of having the bunny litter trained then you need to get them neutered this is important for their helath and for bonding too also be aware tehy need lots and lots of time out of a cage so free reign in a room is great if they can (bunny proofing takes a lot of plannign too!!)! x

I've actually had an indoor rabbit before (R.I.P) they really are the best pets

Psst...Don't tell Walt. ;)

What's a breed that's known for being fairly laid back?

Hmmm fair enough points guys.

What if I got a pair of buns and made sure the cat was nowhere near them when I let them out to play? Is that a better idea?

That sounds perfect :)

In my opinion, rabbit breeds don't really have associated personality traits in the same way as dogs do - it's much more about the individual rabbit. Your best bet would be to go to a rescue, meet the rabbits, spend some time observing one, and adopt one that seems to have the temperament you're looking for. :)

Why not just hang fire for a bit & wait for a rescue bun/s to come up or else check out a rescue a bit further afield? :)

Why not just hang fire for a bit & wait for a rescue bun/s to come up or else check out a rescue a bit further afield? :)

Well, where I live is fairly remote, and I would feel wrong to 'betray' the rescue I volunteer at by going to another. It's stupid, I know but I honestly view it as bad luck.

However I like your suggestion of waiting, I would love to have a rescue bun/s.

I have a question. I do Pet's for Therapy, and since my bunny Kai past I've deteriorated. My mother is desperate to get me another bun that I can bond with the way I did with him. How do I stop her from rushing to a pet shop?

Just tell her you'd feel better adopting from a rescue rather than supporting a pet shop.....if thats the way you feel which I assume you must seeing as you do rescue work. I'd imagine the rescue would feel more "betrayed" as you put it if you ended up with a bun from a pet shop or a breeder.
As far as pets as therapy, could you schedule a bit of extra work at the rescue to get more animal contact even if they don't have buns at the mo?
Rescues being rescues I'm sure they'd love you to do some extra work for them & I'm sure you won't have to wait long for them to get some buns.
Maybe you could spend the time while you wait for a rescue bun getting your setup all shipshape in anticipation of a new arrival?

Just tell her you'd feel better adopting from a rescue rather than supporting a pet shop.....if thats the way you feel which I assume you must seeing as you do rescue work. I'd imagine the rescue would feel more "betrayed" as you put it if you ended up with a bun from a pet shop or a breeder.
As far as pets as therapy, could you schedule a bit of extra work at the rescue to get more animal contact even if they don't have buns at the mo?
Rescues being rescues I'm sure they'd love you to do some extra work for them & I'm sure you won't have to wait long for them to get some buns.
Maybe you could spend the time while you wait for a rescue bun getting your setup all shipshape in anticipation of a new arrival?

Thank you! I will take up an extra shift (that's all the time I have to add, but hey, it's something right?)

More concerned about mum...She never listens to my advice on pet shops, or non threatening articles I send her...She doesn't believe that puppy farms etc exist. :(

Back