• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit spay eating question

bambi2906

Warren Scout
hiya:wave:
i know this question has probably been asked a million times however i re read some old posts and cant find an answer.
i took my new bun annie in for a spay this morning and a twelve they rang me and said she can come home so i picked her up at half 2 well since then she hasnt eaten. she seems fine and well awake just quiet. im just woried about the eating bit because she has always been a big eater. so bascially how long should i leave it to start really panicking. thanks in advance.

If she hasn't eaten with 24hrs take her back to the vet. She will probably need another dose of whatever painkiller they are giving her, buns in pain don't eat.

Try to tempt her with whatever you can, her favourite treats, fresh grass, it doesn't matter if it's healthy for the moment the main aim is to get her gut moving again and then you can feed her the healthy stuff again :)

hi, yea thats what i was thinking if shes not eaten over night ill take her in tomorrow morning. ive tried to give her a few things ill just have to keep checking her through out the night. i did just go out and put the water bottle in front of her face and she had a bit of that so i just hope she eats.

What i did with my bun was leave her to rest in the dark for a few hours after coming home and then offer her some dandelion leaves or apple or something she likes. Dried herbs maybe worth a try too. If she doesn't wnat it then try again later. (I found if i waved it and annoyed her with it enough, she ate it out of temper) The first thing she ate was apple dipped in peppermint tea!

If she hasn't pooed or eaten by mid morning, like others say call your vet.

Wishing her a speedy recovery

thanks for your reply im just really worried which i always am.
i know keep going in and hassling her will annoy her im just a worrier. i did check her not long ago and she had done a lil wee and some poos and she did drink a bit ( after i put the bottle in her face :oops:) i just hate the fact she cant tell me if shes okay :(
ive given her banana carrot mint basil cranberries redi grass and hay not healthy diet i know but i just want her to eat something x

She will eat when she's ready, i'm sure. She may be a big groggy still. Remember that bunnies can pick up on you being worried and may get upset themselves!

My Ollie had a dental the other week. He just hid in the carrier. I left him alone and switched the light off and within a few minutes he sneaked out and ate some hay ;)

Have a nice bowl of water near her too, GA makes buns thirsty.

I worried the same when Rum didn't eat after her spay, I was up worrying and panicking all night because she just sat there not moving, eating or drinking.

It took her about 20 hours before she started nibbling on something.

Amber hadn't pooed after nearly 24 hours so i went upstairs to call the vet. The vet said to take her in in half hours time. By the time i got off the phone an dchecked on her, there were a hoooge pile of big poos!:roll:

i feeling slightly more okay now after reading your posts as ive never had a female neutered. i got told my last female had been and she died of cancer at 8 years old so i knew i had to get annie spayed especially because she is going to be paired with bluebell but i think i worry more then there actually in pain

Back