• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why has my rabbit suddenly passed away like this?

bunnyluhf

New Kit
My rabbit Laura was a lionhead rabbit who was approximately 3 years old ( we don't know her age exactly as we rescued her from a shelter). She was a house rabbit and was fine when I put her to bed the other night. In the morning she was very quiet and when we went to pick her up her front legs and neck seemed paralysed. She could hop but only using her back legs and dragged her front legs along. She was not any better by linchtime, she seemed to be bumping into things and just staying in one corner of her home, facing inwards. I took her to the vet who said she had a blocked gut and needed to stay in for gut injections. He gave her some fluid injections and a gut injection and said the remainder injections would start in the morning as the were about to close. I didnt like the idea of my poorly bunny being all alone so I asked if I could take her home and bring her back first thing. The vet agreed on the condition I fed her a recovery mixture via a syringe. I took her home in the car and got stuck in traffic. She seemed to deterioate rappidly on the car journey and seemed to be having seizures, her little body was moving like what i can only dedscribe as a fish thats not in water. I tried to calm her at the same time as driving and ended up with her on my knee instead of in the box next to her where she went all limp but was still breathing. At home she was very limp and couldnt stand at all. I tried feeding her the mixture but she just wasnt swallowing and it was dribbling out of her mouth. I put her in her home lying on her side. She had some more "seizures" she seemed to be tensing and panicing. I tried to calm her by stroking behind her ears. She eventually stopped breathing and died on top of her hay in her home. This was about an hour after I'd gotten home from the vets. Does anyone know why this could of happened. I'd like some idea as I think it'd make me feel better.:cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
I know it's awful to have a poorly bunny.

I'm not a vet so I can't help you find out what was wrong with her, but hopefully someone can give you some answers real soon.

Sorry again for your loss xx

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Is there any chance you could have a PM done so you know what happened?
Binkie free little bun.

I suppose I could have a pm done - but don't really like the thought of it, it's not going to bring her back. I just hope she wasn't in too much pain. The vet gave her a painkiller too so hopeflly that helped a bit xx

I've known of a few lionheads just suddenly dying after seeming fine. Also my baby girl bunny died very young and I think one of her parents was part lionhead... Bad breeding, maybe?
So sorry you lost your bunny :(

Thankyou for all your kind messages, some people haven't been as understanding, they seem to think rabbits aren't as important as say, dogs and just think its funny to make jokes. Just added a picture of Laura to my avator btw xx

Hi

so sorry to hear of the loss of your little baby. I know that buns go into stasis quite easily and can die of a result of that.
We lost our bunny during his neuter op and its just devastating. I feel very sad for you but it sounds like your bunny was very loved and had a very happy life with you.

I know what you mean about people not understanding how you feel, we had that too, they just dont understand what a joy they are.

You have found a good place here and you will be able to talk about your bunny with us any time you like.

We now have 7 buns as we learned so much about them and how many are in rescue centres waiting for their forever home. We have also started helping out at some of the centres.

We got our bun by accident and we only had him 3 months but he changed our lives. We believe that he came to us for a reason and we take so much comfort from the fact that we havent wasted the knowledge that he brought us.

Binky free little Laura

You will not be forgotten

Angela xx

Just an update, my other bunny is missing laura like mad. I don't know what to do, would it be wise to get another bun at this stage when they were so close. I don't want to replace laura I just dont want my other bun to be lonely. He's constantly wanting human attention ALL the time now shes gone. Maybe he would like another bunny? I just don't know!!??

Awww im sorry she went so suddenly, but it is much kinder on themselves if they go suddenly, means they wernt suffering along the way. Binky free little one

Back