• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Worried

Cozmo

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice. I put my bunny in his run today (about 12.45pm) and I about an hour ago I noticed one mushy poo. I don't know if it was true diarrhoea or not, but thats the only poo he's done while being in the run (I know for sure as the run's set up in the kitchen).

He had his Myxie jab yesterday and was wondering if that could have upset him a bit? He has eaten about half of his food this morning, had veggies last night. Doesn't seem that interested in the hay I've put in the run. However he is running around and playing as usual.

I have looked at his rear end and its all clean, he's got a lil scab from where he was neutered about 3 weeks ago but thats it. Could it just be because of his jab yesterday?

ETA: I just had another look and he's done another poo that looks shiney and soft. It looks like a few poo's all mushed together into one.

Last edited:
That's not diarrheoa, don't worry! Chances are it's from the myxi jab, as it can affect them like that. Just keep an eye on him and keep us updated. :)

What you describe sounds like a caecotroph - these are the poos they are supposed to eat. Is your bun very young? That sometimes happens when they are very young and on lots of dried food - they make excess caecotrophs that they don't eat. If he's a bit older could still be to do with the dried pellets you feed him. How much are you giving?

Thanks for the replies guys, Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. These mushy poo's/caecotroph's kept coming but within three hours he was passing "normal" poo's, the kind I see most of the time. It was really odd, I can't understand a) why he has passing so many of them if they were caecotroph's or b) if they weren't caecotroph's, why he wasn't eating them and it lasted for so long!

He's over a year now and was castrated about three weeks ago. We kept him in over night and just fed him hay and water. That seemed to help him.

He's been fed his dry food today and is fine, I think he was just trying to scare me a bit! LOL. Little blighter.

Back