• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burn's Green Oat Hay - why's it look so different?

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Just got a delivery of this from Hay Experts and it doesn't look anything like it used to :?

Anyone else got some recently? Is yours big blades of grass rather than oaty bits too?

This looks like orchard grass or something.

Hmmmmmmmm - bunnies will be disappointed I think as they love the oat seed heads.

Just got a delivery of this from Hay Experts and it doesn't look anything like it used to :?

Anyone else got some recently? Is yours big blades of grass rather than oaty bits too?

This looks like orchard grass or something.

Hmmmmmmmm - bunnies will be disappointed I think as they love the oat seed heads.

Was going to order some on Monday (payday) but won't bother now :roll:

had my delivery from animal magic this morning - haven't opened the box yet but i hope it hasn't changed:shock:

I just phoned Burns and apparently it is a darker green than usual as it's a different cut of hay, but it is the same product. The bunnies are tucking into a pile of it now so they seem to like it. So far so good anyway.

Thing I don't get though is that I've been buying it for ages and I've never noticed a seasonal variation before, which is all the woman on the phone put it down too. Bizzare :?

Hope the bunnies eat it!

I ordered a load direct from Burns, the packaging has changed slightly! The first bag looked different to me too it is greener and has loads of oaty bits (I must have got your share :oops:) but!!! it smells odd not as nice as the older ones! I had a bag that was off once and it made me gag smelt like mushrooms this one isn't like that. The buns are eating it but not with the same gusto:? I assumed they must have changed it somehow as we were complaining about all the dusty stuff we were getting at the bottom of the bags?!

Both Burns and Alfalfa King oat hays are nice, but the amount of tiny bits and dust at the bottom of the bags is annoying. Not as bad as the dried turd I found at the bottom of the Burns organic mountain hay, though. Very organic indeed. :lol:

I had 10 bags arrive last night, and its lovely - really green and stalky with lots of heads. Much less dust too.

I stopped buying it as I was weaning mine off the expensive hays, but I only lasted a week - felt too mean!!

I noticed changes in the excel forage range last year and hunted around my area to find a good pet shop so I could buy it direct.
I think the time of year will affect it but I wasn't willing to pay all the delivery costs to get it delivered when I wasn't happy with the stuff I was getting.
Might be a good idea to do the same.
I probably save £11 a month on delivery charges and approx £2 a month on the actual hay/grass I was buying too.

Jester and Daisy are very jealous that their hay doesn't have any seed heads in! They say it's reasonably nommable but not as tasty as it used to be (judging by the amount untouched).

Not as bad as the dried turd I found at the bottom of the Burns organic mountain hay, though. Very organic indeed. :lol:

Nice :mrgreen:

We have loads of it here and noticed the difference straight away when it arrived - mainly that it was darker, but also that it was less dusty(has to be a good thing imo). We contacted Burns and was assured it is purely as it is a different cut of hay from later in the season, but still every bit as yummy for the buns:D

Both Burns and Alfalfa King oat hays are nice, but the amount of tiny bits and dust at the bottom of the bags is annoying. Not as bad as the dried turd I found at the bottom of the Burns organic mountain hay, though. Very organic indeed. :lol:

:lol:

Sorry....that made me laugh :D

hmmmmm buns nor piggies seem to like the new version so much:( worried as to what to get for eric now as he eats loads of the old oaty stuff but he's not a fan of very green hay:? need to find another one as he needs it for his teefs:(

I've also found that excel forage/herbage is different depending on where you buy it. Really annoying - especially when you can't tell until you open it :evil:

I'm hoping Pets at Home will start stocking the Alfalfa King Oat Wheat & Barley as they are now doing the Timothy Hay!!

I'm hoping Pets at Home will start stocking the Alfalfa King Oat Wheat & Barley as they are now doing the Timothy Hay!!

My local pets at home was doing Timothy hay and seems to have stopped:? They said they weren't selling enough, will check next time I go in, do you mean instore or online? I had a bag of Oat Hay and its fine, there are more green strands but, there is plenty of the other stuff, I can only notice a slight difference. :D

My two tried the green oat hay for the first time last night and totally demolished it.
This was from the new batch, so seems fine with Herbie & Inca x

My two aren't at all keen on the green oat hay in its present incarnation:( Still on the first bag, whereas with the old stuff they could easily get through a bag in a day or two.

i can't get over the fact that my piggies left a tray of the newer variety:shock: wish i could find some of the original stuff - i'd buy loads of bags:(

whats the alfalfa king one like? is it similar to the original burns?

Back