• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oh God, Fox!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Oh No! I fell asleep at 6.45 last night and didn't get up til 10.45. I was just going to bed at 1.30 when all the buns went mad, thumping thier feet. They did this last night and I couldn't see anything by the time I got out. But last night I looked out the window, and there he was. I assume its a he.

I should have expected it! I saw it the last time we had snow,in the front street... and have seen foot prints in the garden on snow days.

I am ordering wire mesh today and guess what I am doing in my holidays next week

My biggest instinct is to rehome Granite and Sophie. They are in a hutch/run rather than a shed, and I feel they are more in danger over Charlie and Belle in the kennel set up. I am going to do everything I can, and see how it goes, but I have never heard thumping like it.

Is there any way you can put S&G's hutch into the run part of the kennel/aviary set up? It might at first be smaller than ideal but safer.

I'd be paranoid beyond belief if it was me.:cry: I hope you can get something sorted

It must be so stressful once you know he's around! I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything else! I wonder if it's possible to construct some sort of electrified fence around the hutch run? Not enough to hurt the fox just to deter him? Something low level that you can switch on over night or when yr not there? It seems not many of the other methods work!

It's wise to be aware of foxes and do everything you can to improve security. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that all your bunnies are doomed and must be rehomed immediately. The chances are that it has visited before but you've just never known.

We have foxes coming through our garden regularly and, while I am never complacent about their safety, I have done everything possible to ensure Alfie and Bubbles are safe.

I too would be inclined to try to split your kennel set up somehow, so that they can all be in there, if that's what you feel is the safest place. Make sure that they have places to hide in their set up too, so that they feel safe.

A fox isn't a good reason to rehome...there will be foxes wherever you send them.

I the short term, check that the hutch and run are strong and in good repair, and have proper bolts, etc.

In the longer term, perhaps you could invest in stronger accommodation...there are plenty of hutches available that are definitely fox proof (Rydale hutches for one)

Nothing is definitely fox proof....my bunnies got taken from my padlocked hutch because the fox chewed right through the weldmesh, and Sooz knows someone whose buns were taken from a playhouse :shock::shock:

That's not meant to scare you excessively, just to warn you not to underestimate a fox. Put on lots of extra bolts and some layers or something thicker than weldmesh. Ideally fasten the mesh on by sandwiching it between two pieces of wood and screwing them together, rather than stapling, as staples are easily pulled out.

Make sure the wood you use is reallt thick aswell, the wood for the door frames o my hutch was about 4cm square and it was chewed to matchwood when I found it :(

I agree that rehoming isn't necesarily the way to go though...there are foxes literally everywhere so they could be better off with you where you are at least aware of the risks.

Nothing is definitely fox proof....my bunnies got taken from my padlocked hutch because the fox chewed right through the weldmesh, and Sooz knows someone whose buns were taken from a playhouse :shock::shock:

The weld mesh on Rydale hutches is extra thick (I think it must be 16 rather than 19 gauge)...definitely fox proof IMO

if the bunnies are secure it won't guarantee their safety either if they get too scared thay can die of shock, if they don't see the fix they won't panic soo much:(

I hope you've got a fox-free location in the North East, that will be one stress less if there's no foxes around :)

before i got the rabbits we used to get a fox every night in the garden and we used to feed it.....:roll:

so when i decided to get the buns i was worried. i went on a website and read that human urine deters foxs. I got my other half to pee where i thought the fox came in. ;) It worked! so i got the rabbits and "touch wood" i have never seen it since,, which is a miracle as we fed it aswel!

Just to make sure i get him to pee outside everyother night.......:lol::lol:

before i got the rabbits we used to get a fox every night in the garden and we used to feed it.....:roll:

so when i decided to get the buns i was worried. i went on a website and read that human urine deters foxs. I got my other half to pee where i thought the fox came in. ;) It worked! so i got the rabbits and "touch wood" i have never seen it since,, which is a miracle as we fed it aswel!

Just to make sure i get him to pee outside everyother night.......:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I hadn't heard that about foxes, badgers yes :lol:

i wonder if it deters dogs and cats too? i know there's a fox visiting the garden, but i don't like the others coming in either. see me with a jug in the morning, then!!!

i wonder if it deters dogs and cats too? i know there's a fox visiting the garden, but i don't like the others coming in either. see me with a jug in the morning, then!!!

i dont think so cause we have both dogs and cats and they haven't moved house as yet......:lol:

Back