• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Writing an article for our RSPCA newsletter...

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I've been asked if I want to write an article for our newsletter, which of course I do. And of course I'd like it to be about bunnies. :love:

What do you think are the most important issues regarding bunnies that I could write about?

I was thinking either: Neutering rabbits and related issues and how good they are to keep as pairs. Or: Something about how much personality they have. Then there's always accommodation ideas... so much to choose from... should write a book. :lol:

I want to go all out on one subject and go really in depth rather than graze over a few.

Ideas please! :mrgreen:

Maybe something about them not being a good choice as kids pets unless the primary drive to choose buns as companion animals comes from the parents & they are completely committed to the idea?
Perhaps a bun food pyramid? Then people really get the concept of hay volume vs pellet volume clear. Best veg etc.
I really like your original suggestions too, its really hard to pin point one crucial issue when there are so many but desexing is really at the heart of all animal welfare issues when you think about it. Good luck :)

I think there are really three main trends: improving the life of the rabbit you already have, explaining how much work rabbits really are and putting people off impulse buying, or explaining what wonderful pets they can be...

I'm tempted to go for the 'disposable' pet angle just because of what happened to me on wednesday.

I was taking my two to the vets on the bus and they were all covered up as it was cold. An old man came up to me and said "Aww is that a pussy cat?" he seemed really interested until I said it was two rabbits. His next comment was the predictable "make 'em into a stew." I told him he wouldn't want to eat them because they were old, tough and one of them was ill and that I was taking them to the vets. What he said next really hit home to me how people think of rabbits compared to other pets. He said very seriously "Oh, you're going to have them put down."

He was really, genuinely interested when he thought it was a cat but when he found out it was rabbits he couldn't wait for me to kill them fast enough. I think that will be my starting point. :(

Last edited:
I think there are really three main trends: improving the life of the rabbit you already have, explaining how much work rabbits really are and putting people off impulse buying, or explaining what wonderful pets they can be...

I'm tempted to go for the 'disposable' pet angle just because of what happened to me on wednesday.

I was taking my two to the vets on the bus and they were all covered up as it was cold. An old man came up to me and said "Aww is that a pussy cat?" he seemed really interested until I said it was two rabbits. His next comment was the predictable "make 'em into a stew." I told him he wouldn't want to eat them because they were old, tough and one of them was ill and that I was taking them to the vets. What he said next really hit home to me how people think of rabbits compared to other pets. He said very seriously "Oh, you're going to have them put down."

He was really, genuinely interested when he thought it was a cat but when he found out it was rabbits he couldn't wait for me to kill them fast enough. I think that will be my starting point. :(

I think that the "disposable pets" angle is the toughest predudice to overcome. I suspect it's because unless we've formed a relationship with buns, we haven't a clue about what strong personalities they have, & how bright they are. This puts them very much in the province as a whole family or adult pet, NOT just a child's pet. I sometimes say that taking on a bunny is very much like taking on a small child.!

Members of this forum very generously posted about their buns' sense of humour on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215376.
It may just give you some light hearted inspiration.
All the best wishing you every success.

Back