• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dribbling

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Can dribbling be a symptom of anything other than dental problems/abcess?

The rabbit (not one of mine) has had his mouth and teeth checked over by the vet but no problems visible. I wondered if it could be down to anything else?

I have a dental bun who dribbles when he is in pain from his elongated tooth roots. Even if the mouth and teeth look fine, it may be the tooth roots causing the problems, I only found out with my bun after he had x-rays. Do you know if this rabbit has had any x-rays? If not a tooth root problem not sure what else it could be.

How bad is the dribbling?

My dental bun, Feegal always has a patch just under his chin that is slightly damp. It seems he is just a dribbler as the vet can see no other reason, and Feegal eats loads of hay and is in no discomfort:?

I'm not sure as I've not seen him this week - it's just that he's never done it before, it's just suddenly started.

That's interesting about the tooth roots Foofy, thankyou - I will pass the info on. He is fine in himself and has no other symptoms such as reduced eating, so it's not an urgent matter, but def somethign we want to keep an eye on.

I looked in one of my rabbit books to see what it could be a symptom of but I didn't understand most of the words :oops:

Is it definately dribbling or could it be that he is drinking more? I have had buns with kidney or bladder problems with wet mouths that look like dribbling.

I also had a bunny with a tumour behind the eye that dribbled occassionally

Hmmmm well he's apparently stopped dribbling today :? I see him once a week so I will keep an eye on it and see if he's drinking excessively.

I managed to get in touch with his owners (he's in boarding atm - hence the compicatedness) and he's had EC in the past but no dental probs.

Back