• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer run rabbit/guineas

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I currently have my rabbit on the patio for almost all the time and feel he should have more than just the handpicked grass I give him in summer and brief supervised hops in the guinea pig run when they go indoors in the evenings (its only 6ftx4ft). I have been browsing ebay for a new run for my solo make piggy as his didnt survive winter too well and am trying to get a 5ftx3ft with a 3ftx1ft mini hutch at the end so he can get right out of the weather and a similar hut for my 3 piggy girls for the 6x4 run I have. Currently they can only go out when Im there in case the weather changes suddenly as they only have the little hidey hut things. IF they have a proper mini hutch would that be adequate for showers and wind protection in summer do you think?

Whilst browsing I came across a particularly lovely looking house labelled suitable for chickens/rabbits etc. I was wondering if that would be ok for my bunny so he can go on the grass. I dont like him not having a big safe place to hide in and he's used to free run of 12mx3m of patio with his hutch and a ramp to hide in and stuff. The chicken/rabbit house and run thing was externally about 9ftx8ft. The house part had the chicken nest box thingys at each end, but was 3ftx8ft, off the ground and so had 9ftx8ft of space to run around on. The cleaning access wasnt as good as your average hutch, but he's a clean bunny and good to catch (daft thing loves being picked up and cuddled). Would this sort of thing be ok for a bunny or is it a bad idea? I looked at getting a shed and tall aviary size run so I can do a similar home made thing where I can get in with him but it was still going to cost the same :?

I had to hold back on getting him a bunny girlfriend due to knee surgery due monday but after that Im hoping to search for his perfect match, so would that be ok for 2 bunnies? His current hutch would be basically bed time and bad weather on the patio sort of thing and the chicken/rabbit thing would be summer time all day on nice enough days when he wont trash the lawn too much.

Heh, worked, wire looks pretty solid, similar to what I have on current runs. Just seems so efficient on space with the house part raised like that.

That's the best example I've seen so far. I was expecting it to be rubbish but was pleasantly surprised. It's expensive but I think I would get it if it was me :wave:

£350 plus delivery, but then I could get a shed for about £200 and then a run for £150 (want to be able to stand up in it) and then have delivery of those on top so price didnt seem too bad. The little nest boxes wont be a problem will they? The ad says the perches etc come out so I assume he cant get stuck or anything (only a dwarf lop).

£350 plus delivery, but then I could get a shed for about £200 and then a run for £150 (want to be able to stand up in it) and then have delivery of those on top so price didnt seem too bad. The little nest boxes wont be a problem will they? The ad says the perches etc come out so I assume he cant get stuck or anything (only a dwarf lop).

You could ask for a photo of the inside of one of them before you commit, that way you can see exactly what's in the nest box

You could ask for a photo of the inside of one of them before you commit, that way you can see exactly what's in the nest box

If you scroll down on the link then it shows you a pic:

105.jpg

The perches and stuff should be removable and I would lino the floor for easier cleaning. It seems all smooth and no catchy bits. is the 1ft height on the nest boxes going to bother him do you think? I suppose as long as he can get right up on his back legs in the main part its ok?

Back