• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neuturing

Sligeach

Young Bun
I have a question someone may be able to help me with. Is it necessary to get a boy rabbit neutured if he will not be in contact with any female bunnies, is a house rabbit and is not showing any sign of weird behaviour? Any advice welcome but if you could give me reasons for it as feel its a little cruel but not really in the know. Lot of conflicting information on the web.

Thanks guys.

when his plums drop you may find yourself gettng sprayed by a hormonal male bunny :shock:

not sure about health reasons, but Alvin became a terror at 4 months..he had the op and within 3 months he was like a different rabbit all the stroppyness was gone :love::love:

and ofcourse theres always the argument for getting your little boy a wife in the future ;)

It's not cruel because he won't understand that he's been neutered, he won't feel any less of a man bun, he will just assume he is normal. He may be a bit upset with you about the vet visit though, this will pass in a few weeks :)

Yes I would definately get him neutered, it's better to do it before the bad behaviours happen rather than wait until he has started because the neutering might not stop them completely if he already does it.

How old is he at the mo? You may find his behaviour changes when his hormones kick in... circling you and spraying pungent smelling urine are a couple of ways of your boy showing he likes you. I've personally witnessed that in a friends bun (this behaviour ceased when he was neutered) and have also heard of un-neutered male buns humping feet/ slippers/ anything. I don't feel a frustrated bun can be a happy bun.

got mine done at the age of 5 as i had the "its cruel attitude" but i wanted to get him a wife and being gripped drawing blood on my arm while he wanted to mount my hand was pretty much the last straw for me :lol:

will always get all my buns neutered from now on, its does change them, really makes them calm and better toilet trained

He is 3 months old now, so neuturing really does sound like the right thing to do then. What age would you suggest getting him done at, is it best to wait till he an adult or get in early?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :D

Blue was humping our cats and my leg, needless to say ruined our carpet :lol:

It depends on his breed/weight and if you can see any.

I didn't get Blue done until 6months as that was my vets decision and ours as he has respitory problems and found waiting until he was abit bigger was better

He is 3 months old now, so neuturing really does sound like the right thing to do then. What age would you suggest getting him done at, is it best to wait till he an adult or get in early?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :D

you can get him done, when his plums have developed, shouldn't be to long now if they already havn't :wave:

i booked Alvin in dead on 4mnoths, my vet said this was the earliest age he did males... his plums had appeared so out they came.

i did cry when i saw what i had done to him and vowed never to do it to another animal again (from now on they will come already deplummed from a rescue lol)

it feels horrible and wrong at the time :(, but it leads the way to much future happiness (hehe 2 bunnies instead of one whooop)

i booked Alvin in dead on 4mnoths, my vet said this was the earliest age he did males... his plums had appeared so out they came.

i did cry when i saw what i had done to him and vowed never to do it to another animal again (from now on they will come already deplummed from a rescue lol)

it feels horrible and wrong at the time :(, but it leads the way to much future happiness (hehe 2 bunnies instead of one whooop)

I felt so sorry for Blue when I check down there afterwards :oops:

Back