• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Jab

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby had the Cyclap jab on 14th March 2009, we have changed practices now as we have moved and he will be recieving the Lapinject instead.
I have booked him in to have it done on the 8th March, is that ok, will he still be covered from the last one that close to it running out? Do they last a full year?!

Does anyone know if you can request one vaccine or the other from your vet? I keep meaning to ring and ask. Vin had a bad reaction to whatever one she had last year and her fur is still growing back. Which one is more common?

Cylap is more common because it comes in individual doses.
Lapinject is less common because it comes in vials with 5 doses in and you have to use all the doses in something like 12hrs of opening the vial.

Most vets probably don't do enough vaccinations in one day to make Lapinject economincally viable.

But you can always ask, I'm going to ask my vet about it, since I have four buns there shouldn't be much waste.

Lapinject is less common because it comes in vials with 5 doses in and you have to use all the doses in something like 12hrs of opening the vial.

Most vets probably don't do enough vaccinations in one day to make Lapinject economincally viable.

But you can always ask, I'm going to ask my vet about it, since I have four buns there shouldn't be much waste.

Thanks :wave: I just don't want her to have to go through the horrible skin reaction she had last time.

ahhhh, now it makes more sense why vet will only use cylap:?

ahhhh, now it makes more sense why vet will only use cylap:?

It does to a point. I'd love to know how much a vial of Lapinject actually costs.

My local vets use Cylap and wouldn't order in Lapinject to do just one bunny. Yet they charge about £15 to do the jab with Cylap and I take the bunnies to a vet that charges £25 for Lapinject so I would be prepared to pay £25 for them to do just the one jab - I'm wondering if the wasted 4 vaccines actually cost them as much as the other £10. They simply wouldn't negotiate though :?

Back