• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and guilt?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
I adore my rabbits - I never knew I could love them as much as I do.

However, I never expected the guilt that would come along with them. I worry I am not spending enough time with them - or grooming them enough or they dont spend enough time in the garden or they are sleeping too much etc.

I also worry how I will cope if ever one of them passes, I cant even contemplate that. My cats are elderly and have had a good life so I know they are fine - but my buns are my babies and I worry about them all of the time.

Anyone else like this? I am a born worrier - but I often woder if I am strong enough to be a bunny owner?

Completely the same. You think about all the nice things about having a bun, and I was totally unprepared for the guilt. I knew I would have to suffer the loss again one day, but the guilt I didn't consider.

I like to think that the guilt just means you care a lot about your buns and always want what is best for them :love:

:wave: I know exactly how you feel! I'm the same - Always worrying about them, if they're happy, that they get out in the garden enough, do I spend enough time with them...the list goes on and on :roll::lol:

I never realised just how stressful having bunnies is, but the rewards so outweigh the stress, and I would never be without them now :love::love:

Does make me wonder though - We're trying for a baby at the moment....If I'm like this with the bunnies, I'm going to be a real stress head if we have a baby!! :shock:

:wave: I know exactly how you feel! I'm the same - Always worrying about them, if they're happy, that they get out in the garden enough, do I spend enough time with them...the list goes on and on :roll::lol:

I never realised just how stressful having bunnies is, but the rewards so outweigh the stress, and I would never be without them now :love::love:

Does make me wonder though - We're trying for a baby at the moment....If I'm like this with the bunnies, I'm going to be a real stress head if we have a baby!! :shock:

I try to make myself feel better by saying it will be different with a small hoomin as they can tell you what they want :lol: Bet it doesn't work in practice though :roll:

I try to make myself feel better by saying it will be different with a small hoomin as they can tell you what they want :lol: Bet it doesn't work in practice though :roll:

With the baby it's simple!! You know what they want, and can tell when they're happy!! They don't lie.

Bunnies...........What if it was a fake flop? What if they don't want to cause a fuss?! :lol::lol: Why aren't they eating?! Do they sleep too much...get enough exercise...have good teeth...gut problems....have they hurt themselves...?!

GAH! I'm starting to worry now!

Oliver? No problem....Bunnies? so worrying!

That's the thing though - babies don't, they just cry! :shock: How do you know what they want, if they're in pain, or hungry, tired....all seems very scary and confusing (Although for some strange reason, that's not putting me off! :lol::roll:)

If there's something wrong with Cookie she usually turns her back on me and thumps her feet, and Milo just refuses head rubs, or they don't eat their dinner - I know for sure then that something's wrong, but babies....that's a whole other ball game! :shock:

I'm a worrier anyway, so I think I'll be a stresshead whatever :roll:

my pairs i dont worry so much about lack of time spent, i make sure they get enough exersize,
I do feel a little guilty for doc and beth at mo as im in the middle of a clear out in my living room so they are in the hall which is smaller, bigs and carrie are fine they love my bedroom as it so huge

My buns let me know if im out of favour with them

frosty i dont worry to much about either, as my mum does that more :lol:because shes in a huge open hutch and run set up,
frosty has not even been in the hutch for months, she lives in the run which is completly covered except the front on snowy windy rainy days and uncovered on sunny days, the run is set like fort knox and very strong ( i built it :D ) so i dont worry bout foxes either,

linus was always my lil worry as he always would of needed dentals, I do miss my unusual lil baby i doubt i will ever have a harli mini rex again :( to me he was one of a kind

know exactly what you mean cat:(
i worry about poo: size of poo, texture of poo, colour of poo, slightly smelly poo, amount of poo.

i worry about whether they're happy or whether they would have a better life with someone else.

rabbits = guilt but how gratifying are binkies:D and in all honestly, if eric had been left, he'd more than likely be at rb now:(

i stress about esme as she doesn't have a partner at the moment so is it selfish of me to keep her rather than return her to the rescue as i adore her and she has a lot of human interraction?

It because they have such sad little faces as well! EI know my cats are happy when they purr but buns have the same facial expression!

i cant bear being a rabbit mummy.. its killing me emotionally...i feel such intense guilt for what pearl is going through every second of every day. then theres Alvin, if pearl dies before ste is back from scotland i dont have the transport to get Alvin to be bonded with a new wifebun and i certainly dont have taxi fare for it :(

i cant bear being a rabbit mummy.. its killing me emotionally...i feel such intense guilt for what pearl is going through every second of every day. then theres Alvin, if pearl dies before ste is back from scotland i dont have the transport to get Alvin to be bonded with a new wifebun and i certainly dont have taxi fare for it :(

don't worry about that! you have enough stress with pearl's illness. if ever you need a lift somewhere with alvin, i'm not too far away (near wolves) so give me a shout:wave:

I feel guilty whenever I have to leave my two,even if it's only for a few hours :oops: And if I don't for some reason they make sure I do when I get back :lol:
I'm also constantly on the lookout for signs of illness or injury..which is good in a way I suppose,but I know I overreact at times :oops:

I worry constantly....I lost four in just over a year and at least two of them I think I could have prolonged their lives if I had been less stupid :cry::cry: So I have no confidence in my ability to look after my current pair.:cry: I can't bear not to have them though because I love them so. It was much easier before I realised how suddenly they can pass on...every day I'm sure they'll both have gone when I get home.

Back