• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NIC Cage Flooring

So I have two dwarf mix bunnies and I am thinking about building them a NIC cage (Neat Idea Cubes) but they are not completely litter trained the are only 3 months old. I was planning on making the floor wood with vinyl tile or laminate on the bottom would that be fairly easy to clean or would it be better if I buy a cage with a floor or will they use the litter box more with the new cage???

We have a chipboard floor with vinyl tiles on top, the floor is on castors so it's easy to clean underneath! Ours have a tray on the bottom level and one on the middle as they were too lazy to go down a level for a poop!

You can also get corrugated sign plastic (which is called corflute or chloroplast). You can get them fairly cheap from sign makers. If you scroll down a bit on the following website it tells you how to make a base. http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

I use this in the main pen of Charlee's cage. I line the inside with newspaper and fleece matts (I made them using fleece with wadding in the middle). She has a litter tray in here which she uses 95% of the time. And all of her food and heaps of hay. I have then cut a doorway in the corflute leading from her cage out into another pen. This pen is sort of a hexagon shape so too hard to make a corflute base. I purchased a picnic blanket with a waterproof backing that covers the entire added pen area.

She never goes to the toilet in the added pen area -- so it is there to protect the carpet a bit and just in case she has any accidents. She has almost fully potty trained herself and is only 11 weeks old. I am so proud! :love:

Sure. I will take some pictures tomorrow when it is light. I have some old photos but none with the picnic blanket so I will put them up after I have taken them tomorrow. The overall size looks small in the photos but the main cage is 3ftx3ft and the extension gives her 4ft extra running space in length. So overall the cage is 7ft in length. Plus she gets running around time outside her cage. :)

Ok so wood with vinyl tile or laminate on top would work then on top I am going to put a bathroom rug and some blankets probably or something similar.

yeah we use doormats and rugs etc, i have just discovered that the doormats with the rubber edging last a lot longer than the normal ones!!
We cable tied the base to the nic cubes, it's really easy to add steps too using a nic panel and some wood on top! :)

thanks for the help i am still not sure about it I don't want them to be pooping all over it all the time cause that would be hard to keep on top of.

Last edited:
Two of mine are litter trained, my new girl is only a baby and isn't. I just sweep it out with a dustpan and brush in the morning and at night and wipe it out afterwards, doesn't take two minutes

I hope you don't mind me posting the pictures of Charlee's cage here for tintin.

This is the main cage. As I said last night it is 3ftx3ft. The white stuff is the corrugated plastic (or corflute -- I think correx might be the same thing?). The green stuff is also corflute, it was to try and make the walls higher. It was a silly idea - it was too weak, she just jumps over that green flap now. The fabric on the bottom was the fleece & wadding matts I was talking about. And of course her litter tray and hay. Excuse the mess in the litter tray. :)

020.jpg

The doorway

035-2.jpg

Slightly blurry but you get the idea ;). The blue fabric is the picnic blanket with water proof backing. Everything else is just toys.
116-1.jpg

Thanks for that pic. I see what you mean now. I have just bought a set of wire storage cubes from Costco (about £10). I haven't had time to put them together yet, but hopefully they will be okay as an indoor pen. If not, I will have a new shoe rack....

Back