• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Albie and his Snuffles

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Albie finished his course of Baytril yesterday, he was having 0.5ml twice a day. The discharge has dried up, has been since last weekend. However he is still snuffly? He isnt as half as bad as he has been. He has been on Baytril for around 3weeks?

The Vet advised to see how i felt he was and return if i felt necessary? As he is still snuffly i am thinking we should try something stronger now?

Any advice welcome :wave:

if he is still snuffly may be worth a course of something different such as depocillin:?

Thanks Jill. I searched through some old threads and noticed Faye had said he has had this before also. Is it another drug to given via syringe....

Because my Vet mentioned doing injections?

Depocillin has to be give by injection Nat, if given orally I *believe* it can be fatal :( It might be worth asking about trying some depocillin injections to see if these help.

Poor little Albie - snuffles is awful :( I feel so sorry for any bun who has them :( Lots of vibes for your little man xx

My bunny Ginger has snuffles and was initially put on Baytril too (for two or three weeks) and her snuffles came back once she stopped like your Albie.

I'd definitely take him back if he's snuffling again as they will probably trial a different antibiotic.

My Ginger was put on Trimethoprim after Baytril but that didn't work for her either. The vet then suggested I nebulize her with antibiotics mixed with saline. This has worked well and I now nebulize her once a day with saline only to keep the nasal membranes moist and healthy.

I hope Albie gets better soon!

Hi :wave:

Our French Lop, Pickles was diagnosed with pneumonia in November and is still on both Baytril and Septrin.

Septrin is a banana flavoured children's medecine (or aniseed in the adult version which Pickles is now on as it means she can have half the dose).

I definitely think that the Septrin is a big help, so may be worth suggesting to your vet.

I hope Albie is better soon.

Big thanks to you all, will be discussing all these with the Vet.

She did mention injections, not sure which, but she said he would need them daily for a week to start with? Or they would teach me how to do it at home? Im not so sure? :shock:

He is fine today, no discharge at all, barely any snuffling, well not as bad.

Will let you know what we decide at Vets :D

Big thanks to you all, will be discussing all these with the Vet.

She did mention injections, not sure which, but she said he would need them daily for a week to start with? Or they would teach me how to do it at home? Im not so sure? :shock:

He is fine today, no discharge at all, barely any snuffling, well not as bad.

Will let you know what we decide at Vets :D

Hey :wave:

Depocilin does have to be given by injection it cannot be given orally, its easy to do once you know how ;)

Lionel had it every day for 2 weeks now he has it every other day, definately better to do yourself than keep going to vets!

Baytril generally seems to be pretty useless against anything :?

im ge4tting a second opinion on bertie with his snuffles..our vet refused to give depocill9in as it could be fatal.and none of them want to prescribe an unliscensed drug. none of them have experince with anything other than flamin baytril anymore:evil: or rather their insurance etc doesnt cover them..i have to sign release forms for metacam!!

so i was interested in nebulising drugs esp as he has mrsa in his nose and itd be direct contact.

let me know how you get on....im off tomorrow afternoon to plead berties case,,hes a french lop and fairly laid back. cept he hates baytril!!

Back