• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental and spaying advice Advice

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
Hi all

I have 2 questions I would really like some help on:

Dental Advice

Buttons is my little mutant baby. His front teeth don't wear against each other properly so we go to the vets every 4/5 weeks for them burring. My vet has recommended that I have them removed, so I am wondering if anyone has any sort of advice on how much it should cost, or if I should even be considering having it done. Buttons isn't one yet but he has been neutered so I can't have them done at the same time. I don't mind taking him to the vets but I don't want to cause Buttons stress if it is unessecary.

(I say he's my mutent baby because I think his teeth are the result of inbreeding)

Spaying Advice
Tallulah, my other rabbit, is about 7 months old. She has just within the last few weeks started weeing and pooing all over the hutch (she used to go in the litter tray). In the last few days I have also noticed her chasing Buttons around the hutch and trying to climb on top of him. I'm taking these as signs that she should be spayed. I read that it takes a female longer to recover from spaying than it does for a male to recover from neutering. I think what I read said it was best to keep her indoors for a week on vet bed in a room without heating, and then put her back outside but keep her seperate from Buttons for 2 weeks so he can't bother her wound. Does that sound about right? Or does any body have any better tips?

Sorry for such a long post but I want to get opinions on this before I go to my vets.

Thank you

Hi all

I have 2 questions I would really like some help on:

Dental Advice

Buttons is my little mutant baby. His front teeth don't wear against each other properly so we go to the vets every 4/5 weeks for them burring. My vet has recommended that I have them removed, so I am wondering if anyone has any sort of advice on how much it should cost, or if I should even be considering having it done. Buttons isn't one yet but he has been neutered so I can't have them done at the same time. I don't mind taking him to the vets but I don't want to cause Buttons stress if it is unessecary.

(I say he's my mutent baby because I think his teeth are the result of inbreeding)

Spaying Advice
Tallulah, my other rabbit, is about 7 months old. She has just within the last few weeks started weeing and pooing all over the hutch (she used to go in the litter tray). In the last few days I have also noticed her chasing Buttons around the hutch and trying to climb on top of him. I'm taking these as signs that she should be spayed. I read that it takes a female longer to recover from spaying than it does for a male to recover from neutering. I think what I read said it was best to keep her indoors for a week on vet bed in a room without heating, and then put her back outside but keep her seperate from Buttons for 2 weeks so he can't bother her wound. Does that sound about right? Or does any body have any better tips?

Sorry for such a long post but I want to get opinions on this before I go to my vets.

Thank you

i would separate them. now.
im frankly a little surprised that considering she is 7 months she hasn't already had a litter. the last thing you want to do especially if his dental problems are genetic, is to pass this on to a second generation.

in regards to tooth removal... it is unfortunately common. prices will depend on your individual vetinary practice. neutering may be possibal but will depend how quickly the teeth can be removed, how well he reacts to the aesthetic. personaly, if he is not harassing her, mounting her etc, i would spay her, get him neutered (while continuing to have his teeth burred), allow him a few weeks (or longer) to recover then have his teeth removed.

personaly after any operation to would bring the rabbit indoors at least for a few days or longer if there are complications or concerns. seperating them after spaying is essential.

i would separate them. now.
im frankly a little surprised that considering she is 7 months she hasn't already had a litter. the last thing you want to do especially if his dental problems are genetic, is to pass this on to a second generation.

The boy is neutered ;) (I read it wrong the first time too and assumed he wasn't :oops:)
Buttons isn't one yet but he has been neutered

I have no experience of front tooth removal, but other people have bunnies with no front teeth and can hopefully advise more. Generally speaking though, as long as he is fit and healthy, an operation to remove would probably be less stressful than monthly burring.

With regards to spaying, it's definitely a good idea to have it done as the majority of females are very hormonal (which is why you've noticed her behaviour changing). The majority of unspayed females suffer from uterine cancer, so you would be preventing that too.

Spaying is a more major op, so she would need to be kept indoors for a few days. It should be possible to keepTallulah and Buttons together, but you would have to keep a close eye on them and split if he starts bothering her.

Regarding the teeth, I'd definitely go down the removal route. I have 2 gummy bunnies. Kiki copes absolutely fine, she's a wonderful hay eater and I don't soak her pellets, all I do is finely shred or grate the veg/herbs.

Spike is a different issue as his back ones are misaligned (see current thread).
Bear in mind that they may grow back after removal - Spikes did a couple of times and Kikis - 4 times :shock:.

Spaying - she needs it, bless her, she sounds like a furry bag of raging hormones. Agree, after a GA they need to be kept warm and a close eye kept on them. it's best not to seperate if possible as you don't want teh bond to break.

Good luck!

Back