• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Common sense - how much should one expect?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I met a girl this weekend who is my age (23ish) and she has a rabbit. She said that all she feeds him is banana chips, because that's all he will eat. :censored:

When I was talking to the OH about it later, he said, "What if the pet store staff told her that it was ok? She's probably just doing what she thinks is best."

Banana chips?! Seriously?!

So how much knowledge about rabbits is common sense? And is it logical for anyone to trust a 17 year old, part-time pet store employee for advice on rabbit care? Why should I be ok with someone who takes a living, breathing creature into their lives and doesn't research their basic needs more than a dim-witted pet store associate?!

Ugh, that turned a little ranty. People drive me nuts. :censored:

if she finds out too late, she'll be mortified! some ru-ers are still traumatised about rabbits they didn't care for as they would today, years after their buns went to the bridge.

:(

This makes me sad. I wasn't given any advice when I got my first bun, I had no idea that they were meant to have very little pellets and unlimited hay, especially as the feeding instructions on the food packets tell you to feed them as much food as the size of their head a day (which is probably more than 10 times what they should be having a day!)

I'm so glad I've joined this forum though, the advice on here is great! :D:D

Working in a vets, I see this every week.

We had one woman come in who was shocked when her cat had kittens. Apparently, brother and sister cats don't mate because (in her words) "that's just sick. I would never have sex with my brother" :evil:

I just can't believe the abysmal ignorance of a 23 year old.
NO animal naturally lives on a diet of banana chips.
Before I went to primary school, I knew that rabbits, sheep, cows, & horses eat GRASS. I knew that HAY = dried grass. I also knew that wild rabbits raided the garden for GREENS. We didn't have pellets in those days.

For heaven's sake, the 1st. thing we need to know when we care for any animal is what they eat, & what living conditions they need. *Throws hands up in dismay*.

Yes I do expect a 17 year old (who is not educationally disadvantaged) to learn the basic requirements of the animals for sale in a pet shop, & to ask a superior for advice if she cannot answer the question.

Last edited:
I just can't believe the abysmal ignorance of a 23 year old.
NO animal naturally lives on a diet of banana chips.
Before I went to primary school, I knew that rabbits, sheep, cows, & horses eat GRASS. I knew that HAY = dried grass. I also knew that wild rabbits raided the garden for GREENS. We didn't have pellets in those days.

For heaven's sake, the 1st. thing we need to know when we care for any animal is what they eat, & what living conditions they need. *Throws hands up in dismay*.

Yes I do expect a 17 year old (who is not educationally disadvantaged) to learn the basic requirements of the animals for sale in a pet shop, & to ask a superior for advice if she cannot answer the question.

You would be amazed at how little the Pets at home manager in scunthorpe know about basic animal care lol.:roll:

I met a girl this weekend who is my age (23ish) and she has a rabbit. She said that all she feeds him is banana chips, because that's all he will eat. :censored:

When I was talking to the OH about it later, he said, "What if the pet store staff told her that it was ok? She's probably just doing what she thinks is best."

Banana chips?! Seriously?!

So how much knowledge about rabbits is common sense? And is it logical for anyone to trust a 17 year old, part-time pet store employee for advice on rabbit care? Why should I be ok with someone who takes a living, breathing creature into their lives and doesn't research their basic needs more than a dim-witted pet store associate?!

Ugh, that turned a little ranty. People drive me nuts. :censored:

Did you point her in the right direction?

Working in a vets, I see this every week.

We had one woman come in who was shocked when her cat had kittens. Apparently, brother and sister cats don't mate because (in her words) "that's just sick. I would never have sex with my brother" :evil:

The worst one I ever heard, going back a few years now, was 'I tied my cat to a stick outside to stop it getting pregnant'

No, it didn't work! :roll::censored:

You would be amazed at how little the Pets at home manager in scunthorpe know about basic animal care lol.:roll:

Good grief! I just can't get my head round it that when I buy machines, I get written & often verbal instructions about maintenance & care. These are sentient living beings with specific needs
No wonder so many buns end up in rescues!

I wonder how the P@H manager would respond if you suggested they stock the basic requirements for bunnies, & put a "you will need" notice you will make, beside them. Next step can you guys up there get together & afford to print a really basic diet & care sheet, & include some helpful web sites & books stocked by P@H for each bun sold, from your computers. If there's a good rabbit vet, some of the practice managers will pay for advertisement. The P@H down here have a leaflet for standard insurance & a vet on site but they aren't bunny savvy.

a)Even if we only change things a little for the buns it's better than nothing.
b)It may just make a few people think about what they are taking on with a bunny.
c)Any loss would be more than covered by sale of the essentials.
d)Good for the reputation of P@H
e)Manager gets all the credit.

Did you point her in the right direction?

It was tough to really get into it. I was on a double date with my OH and his coworker and his girlfriend. I didn't want to get up on my rabbit soapbox and make things awkward in the first hour of meeting the girl, but I did throw in little things here and there. Like, "Man, my rabbits are going through their hay today like no one's business." or "Do your rabbits go wild for fresh veggies too?"

When I see her again soon, I will probably be a little more pushy on the subject. I don't even want to know what type of housing this rabbit has to endure. :cry:

It was tough to really get into it. I was on a double date with my OH and his coworker and his girlfriend. I didn't want to get up on my rabbit soapbox and make things awkward in the first hour of meeting the girl, but I did throw in little things here and there. Like, "Man, my rabbits are going through their hay today like no one's business." or "Do your rabbits go wild for fresh veggies too?"

When I see her again soon, I will probably be a little more pushy on the subject. I don't even want to know what type of housing this rabbit has to endure. :cry:

Good luck Sidereus7. Thinking of you lots.

Good grief! I just can't get my head round it that when I buy machines, I get written & often verbal instructions about maintenance & care. These are sentient living beings with specific needs
No wonder so many buns end up in rescues!

I wonder how the P@H manager would respond if you suggested they stock the basic requirements for bunnies, & put a "you will need" notice you will make, beside them. Next step can you guys up there get together & afford to print a really basic diet & care sheet, & include some helpful web sites & books stocked by P@H for each bun sold, from your computers. If there's a good rabbit vet, some of the practice managers will pay for advertisement. The P@H down here have a leaflet for standard insurance & a vet on site but they aren't bunny savvy.

a)Even if we only change things a little for the buns it's better than nothing.
b)It may just make a few people think about what they are taking on with a bunny.
c)Any loss would be more than covered by sale of the essentials.
d)Good for the reputation of P@H
e)Manager gets all the credit.

In london as a child, i think around 9 i was disscussing how wrong it was the way animals were being kept in a pet shop. My dad agreed and had a word with the manager. I remember getting a very tastefull remark from an older lady ... 70's ish who was in with her grandson. "how dare you kick up such a fuss over somthing so insignificant"

Ive tried the educational trick with P@H, mainly with GP's as they didnt have rabbits at the time. The woman (40's) tried grabbing a GP by the scruff of the neck, which i instantly said, please dont do that they do not like that and should not be handled like that, to which i got a swift "well if you think you can do it better yourself then do so" So i did. :roll: Then handed it to the woman buying it, i explained to her how to hold it. Also what to look for in a healthy animal. This animal was riddled with parasites and had a rather large open wound on his tum. I tried to take him home with me.. was even willing to pay for him just to get him sorted. They proceded to snatch him from me and straight out the back. I told them i wanted him but they refused. I called everyday for two weeks, i failed this baby. I reported them to the RSPCA ofcourse, fat lot of good that did.

I must admit whenever i am in there i try and get people to adopt rather than fuel the shops, but what else can i do when the manager refuses to be educated?

Forgot to add.. All mine go with care sheets and i randomly hand care sheets out near pet shops too.

Last edited:
Back