• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help

haze2cute

New Kit
My lionhead rabbit has turned really nasty over last year you cant get near it at all it growls and lunges at you, we used to think it was a male but not so sure now. i cant even get close to brush it so its fur is getting horrible. anyone had this before???? i don't know what to do, thanks.

The most likely reason is if your bunny is not neutered and I am guessing that as you don't even know the sex he/she is not. Suppose IT wont be vaccinated either then?. If not there could be any number of reasons.

Have you had your bunny healthchecked?

My lionhead rabbit has turned really nasty over last year you cant get near it at all it growls and lunges at you, we used to think it was a male but not so sure now. i cant even get close to brush it so its fur is getting horrible. anyone had this before???? i don't know what to do, thanks.

You need to take him/her to a Vet to determine his/her gender and then arrange to get him/her neutered (castrated or spayed). Neutering should help reduce aggression. He/she may actually be in considerable discomfort if he/she is badly matted :cry: Matted fur can felt-up and cause the skin to become inflammed/infected :cry:.

I would call the Vet tomorrow and make an appointment for your Bun.
Seems a shame to refer to him/her as 'it'................. :cry:

You need to take him/her to a Vet to determine his/her gender and then arrange to get him/her neutered (castrated or spayed). Neutering should help reduce aggression. He/she may actually be in considerable discomfort if he/she is badly matted :cry: Matted fur can felt-up and cause the skin to become inflammed/infected :cry:.

I would call the Vet tomorrow and make an appointment for your Bun.
Seems a shame to refer to him/her as 'it'................. :cry:

ditto :(

how long after neutering do they return to normal behaviour??? i literally cant get near him/her to even brush him/her. does anyone know how much it costs too???? thanks.

It sounds like your bunny is a girl, adn very hormonal. She'll calm down if she's spayed. I'd make an appointment at the vet and get her booked in.

Yup - agree with the above. Neutering is the key here. Also, how much space does he have? If he's in a smallish hutch with nothing to entertain him or keep him company, then he's also likely to get very territorial over his surroundings. He sees you as a threat every time you try to enter his 'territory'. Get him neutered, give him more space, some bunny company, things to play with and do etc and he should become a nice, friendly and laid back bunny.

Awwww....she must be a girlie and a very hormonal one.Is Bunny about 6 months plus???
A neuter is the best thing for her...will calm her down and release her from all the possibilities of getting infections of the uterus in her later life.
Your situation is the same mine was over a year ago.
Best of luck.
Please dont get scared of her...thats how bunnies end up getting left alone.Shes just a bag of hormones currently and PMT isnt nice!!!xxxxx

You're bunny, regardless of sex, is very hormonal. He/she can be sexed when s/he goes to the vet for his/her jabs. They need jabs twice a year. Myxi every 6 months, and VHD, every year.

The vet can then sex him and see. Then you should proceed to have him/her neutered/spayed. This should help his hormone levels to drop, and he should be less aggressive. If he isn't handled very much now, then don't expect perfect results. As hormone levels drop you'll have to gain his/her trust again. :)

Definitely agree that neutering will be the best way to go.

Is the bunny growling and lunging on it's own territory? Maybe on neutral territory the behaviour will be less. This kind of behaviour can also be pain-related.

Definitely see a vet with regard to health check and sexing and advice on neutering as a starting point - perhaps for them to groom the bunny as well if it gets to cause welfare issues :D

how long after neutering do they return to normal behaviour??? i literally cant get near him/her to even brush him/her. does anyone know how much it costs too???? thanks.

how long is a piece of string really. Anything from 2-4 weeks up to several months.

It can cost vastly different sums dependent on the vets and the sex.

You need to specifically find a vet that has a good knowledge of rabbits too, not just any old vet.

A couple of weeks. I had two girls who fought like mad until they were spayed, then they were very sweet natured.. It will cost between £50 - £100 depending on where you are in the country.
If you post where you are, someone will be able to recommend a vet to you.

Price is a bit tricky to say as you don't know if it is a boy or girl; girls are more expensive to get 'done'.

Roughly £40-60 I would say.

Having just read your intro too, if you have the 2 bunnies anywhere near each other unnneutered that would be one very big reason for the aggression. Even just the smell of another rabbit will send an unneutered rabbit into hyperspace.

Having just read your intro too, if you have the 2 bunnies anywhere near each other unnneutered that would be one very big reason for the aggression. Even just the smell of another rabbit will send an unneutered rabbit into hyperspace.

This is correct! The best thing to do is get both rabbits vaccinated and neutered. Then, once the hormones have died down (in 1-2 months time) you will be able to introduce them to each other. I'm sure they will be happier together.:)

they are reasonably close, he/she is just as bad with growling and lunging out of the hutch. Her/his hair isnt matted badly but looking scruffy, i have never had a rabbit so nuts :shock: but all my others have been male. i live in essex and currently my vets is cherrydown. Hutch he/she is in at the moment isnt very big but collecting new one on saturday which is a lot bigger.

:censored:i would just like to say that i only called him/her it because i dont know the sex and writing him/her every 5 seconds takes ages so wasnt calling him/her an IT and also i love how you automatically start getting on your high horses about being vaccinated etc. i came on here for some advice not to get a lecture. i dont want my rabbit to get left and not be cuddled etc because HE/SHE is too aggressive and to just die after living a sad life getting matted hair and long claws. if i didn't give a :censored: i wouldn't of signed up to ask for advice.

sorry everyone i know you wasn't all being funny and i appreciate the honest help from certain people thanks again i will book Oscar into vets asap.

Back