• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar Biting

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
OK i have posted something similar to this a while ago but this is slightly different.

I have a bunny called Fiver...He's well..hard work :lol: He lives in my room with Ellie, his wife. He wakes me up every morning whenever he feels like it. 6am some mornings. He bar bites untill he gets fed.. then he bar bites for no apparent reason. If i open the door he will sit there and look at me. Why does he bar bite? He is out of his cage from the minute i get up till when i go to bed. I've tried spraying him with water, ignoring him, feeding him at a certian times every morning, leaving him out 24/7 and nothing works.

I cant deal with it anymore, i work and he's stressing me out so much. I'm getting migraines because im so tired and frustrated with him. :( I love him dearly and i just dont want him to be unhappy. He has even chipped his tooth bar biting and bitten several holes through fox proof wire :?

please help someone :(

for a start ignore him. if you feed him your telling him bar biting = food or attention

get some earplugs and ignore the little sod

oh and a wifebun would help too, somewhere else for him to focus his mind ;)

i dont think Alvin has once gone after the wallpaper since he got pearl :love:

yoshi does this all the time.... and as the other person said ignore it! Yoshi does it for attention :roll: i did the same as you feed him or give him fuss and it made him worse he is now slowly learning :lol:

i mentioned he lived with a wife. earplugs... hmm. i may. but he is sooo loud. he wakes my parents up too.

I had this issue with Milo. He did it more when he was younger (around 4-5 months), and he kind of "grew out of it". He still does it from time to time, especially if he sees me walking by in the morning, and he knows it's food time.

One thing I found that helped was that whenever I shut him back in his cage, I would top up his hay and give him a tiny handful of pellets. This way, he associated going into his cage with something exciting (OMG FOOD!!!), instead of being caged up and playtime being over.

Also, do you have lots of space and lots of toys in Fiver's cage? You could try changing up his space a bit, either expanding it or adding little hiding places or levels. That way, the cage has some new stimuli which will keep bunny distracted. :)

As another thought, what is your feeding schedule like? I feed my bunnies in the morning and at night, plus topping up hay twice a day. Bunnies with full bellies are less likely to cause trouble, I find. (And by less likely, I mean they'll still cause a ridiculous amount of trouble, but it's less noticeable. :lol:)

he has loads of toys, a bed, hay, chews, balls, bells, wooden things. He has a huge cage, 3 stories tall and a girly to sit with and groom and talk to.

yet he still bar bites!! If i ignore him..he bar bites and bar bites and bar bites. and he will do this for hours.

he has loads of toys, a bed, hay, chews, balls, bells, wooden things. He has a huge cage, 3 stories tall and a girly to sit with and groom and talk to.

yet he still bar bites!! If i ignore him..he bar bites and bar bites and bar bites. and he will do this for hours.

Sheesh! Fiver has spirit. :shock:

As a last ditch effort sometimes, I would throw a blanket over Milo's cage. That meant it was "bunny night night" time, and he would often give up at that point, because he couldn't see the freedom he so wanted. Out of sight, out of mind.

Elwood bites the bars of his crate even when the doors wide open, he's not the brightest bless him :lol::love: Thankfully with no front teeth he can't make any noise :D

i would need a huuuuge sheet :| his cage is taller than me..and then he'd probably chew the blanket.

He gets fed twice a day, monring and then night and then he has a constant top up of hay..which he's scoffing loads of because apparently this "new" hay tastes better than the usual hay :roll:

he is not hungry, bored or anything else!!!! he's just a bloody nightmare!! i mean Ellie is amazing. Fiver will bar bite for hours, he will chew anything he isnt meant to, gets into places he isnt meant to, escapes frequently, growls at me, attacks me, attacks brushes, throws his litter tray everywhere, throws his toys everywhere, poos all over the place.

i think he actually is a demon bunny :shock: he is such a little ******.

Elwood bites the bars of his crate even when the doors wide open, he's not the brightest bless him :lol::love: Thankfully with no front teeth he can't make any noise :D

omg! somedays i wish Fiver had no teeth... but then i'd feel mean :lol: I panicked when i saw he'd chipped his tooth :roll:

he is not hungry, bored or anything else!!!! he's just a bloody nightmare!! i mean Ellie is amazing. Fiver will bar bite for hours, he will chew anything he isnt meant to, gets into places he isnt meant to, escapes frequently, growls at me, attacks me, attacks brushes, throws his litter tray everywhere, throws his toys everywhere, poos all over the place.

i think he actually is a demon bunny :shock: he is such a little ******.

Is he neutered? :shock:

Maybe he needs to be an outdoor bunny come spring time. :lol:

yes he is neutered! he goes out in his run and even free ranges in the garden for hours in spring and summer... he still will bar bite i bet!!

lmao i think there's no hope for me is there? ear plugs i think willbe my best option :roll: I feel so sorry for the lass looking after Ellie and Fiver while im away. She will be traumatised lmao.

You mentioned he has toys, but does he pay any attention to them at all?
If he is quite food driven, then you can do loads of hidey things and stuff hay and food in. If you look for some of Tamsins threads, she has some fantastic ideas on how to entertain them. I have made some of them for Delly and Ogs, and its really helped them calm down abit more. Like yours, Oggie will bar bite, but Delilah moves the litter trays about :roll: makes a hell of a racket.

i know that when i shared a room with Alvin when we took him to scotland i vowed never again.. now tho i worry if i dont hear his throwing the bowl about... i need to hear him :oops::oops:

not sure id be so forgiving over bar biting tho.. i hope he grows out of it hun or maybe he really would be happier as a garden bunny?

do you think you could line the places he bites with wood? it may just be a spot he likes? Alvin digs the carpet/cage edge where the litter tray lives and he only attcacks there when pearl has moved the litter tray. no where else, he also had fav wallpaper spots too

Back