• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis, bloat, obstruction and dysbiosis

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I find it really hard to tell the difference between these things. Usually people come on the forum with their bunny's symptoms and one of the old hands says "that sounds like stasis/bloat etc." Would somebody be kind enough to take the time to explain the symptoms of these so I can watch out for them?

For eg, does diarrhea play a part in any of them? One of mine will occasionally have a runny poo day and I'd like to know what causes it.

Alvin has never had bloat thank fook. but i think if they puff up like a football they are in serious danger of dying..dunno the dysbiosis thing etiher.

Alvins signs of stasis are usually, hiding in the carrier, sitting in the litter tray but not going, tummy pressing into the floor (one time he even rolled onto his back his tummy was hurting so much ;'(), refusal of all food. cant think of any others.. but its so obvious when a bunny aint right you wont miss it if it happens

in all the times of stasis Alvin has never has diarreah (sp)

Stasis is when a bunnies guts stop working the main symptom is when they stop eating and pooing! Bun needs a vet and meds asap!

Bloat is trapped wind either in the stomach or somewhere along their intestines infacol can sometimes help with this

obstruction is literally that poor bunny might have something causing a blockage eg Fur, carpet!! Etc the vet can feel for a blockage or they can take an x-ray

dysbyosis bunnies have delicate balance of bacteria etc that can be upset often when they are sick and taking meds you can give them probiotic to help regulate it again

Fiver had a mild bout of stasis and i can say that you will deffinately know something is wrong with your bun.

Fiver is usally a very active bun. One day he wouldn't stay stood up, kept flopping down, shifting about and standing up then flopping down and sitting huddled up clearly in pain :(

He wasn't pooing much and wasnt interested too much in his hay. Fortunatly he ws ok after an hour or so :)

No runny poos. Runny poos could be because they've eaten something they aren't used to or maybe eaten too much fruit or veg.

Jazz started with stasis which then progressed to bloat, despite being under vetinary care.. needed emergency surgery which 'worked' but died of a heart attack the day after :cry::cry:

Frankie had statis/bloat a few weeks back. The symptons came on very quickly for him. He stopped eating, you need to monitor poo size and out take, and their belly can feel bloated. I found massaging his tummy helped while I waited for the emergency vet.

Pineapple can help sometimes :) especially with a blockage of fur. i think blockages cause stasis too dont they?

Stasis is when a bunnies guts stop working the main symptom is when they stop eating and pooing! Bun needs a vet and meds asap!

Bloat is trapped wind either in the stomach or somewhere along their intestines infacol can sometimes help with this

obstruction is literally that poor bunny might have something causing a blockage eg Fur, carpet!! Etc the vet can feel for a blockage or they can take an x-ray

dysbyosis bunnies have delicate balance of bacteria etc that can be upset often when they are sick and taking meds you can give them probiotic to help regulate it again

Just to add to this:

Bloat: You can put your ear up against their side and listen to their tummy. If it's bloat, it will probably sound gassy in there. Infacol has worked wonders for me with the buns.

Dysbiosis: I've seen this in my buns when they have weird poo. When that bacteria balance gets messed up, it shows in the poo by being longer and more watery or just misshapen in general. Fibreplex and other probiotics are good for re-regulating. While I've mostly had dysbiosis caused by antibiotics, it can be from too quick a diet change. If that's the cause, hold back on the veggies for a bit and have the bunnies eat lots of hay instead. It can help re-regulate the tummy.

I think the biggest symptoms for any of these is the eating, pooing, and behavior. My bunnies flop out a lot if they are feeling yucky. (Milo lays near the heater when he's feeling down.) Just remember that bunnies communicate in "subtle" ways. :)

Last edited:
Back