• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Ive never wormed the rabbits before only the dogs:oops: I want to do Lyric and the new bun if and when it arrives where is the best place to get the wormer and how much do i need?

vet uk, £3. ??
pets at home £5.??
vets £6. ??

you need to weigh your buns really
for a dutch i use just over one and half syringes for 9 days,

this is for panacur, very simple to use you cant overdoes either as the plunger has a stopper, some people use another brand i forget the name:oops:

plus i only smear it on a bit of green before dinner and doc wolfs it down, so can be easy to administer too

right my maths is poo

" ADMINISTER 1 SYRINGE GRADUATION PER 2.5 KG OF BODY WEIGHT DAILY FOR 9 DAYS "

Theres 18 graduations on the syringe

right im working out 2 and half graduations for lyric as 3 grads would mean lyric has to weigh 7.5 kg

2 and half grads per day for lyric 18 grads on syringe 6 days one syringe, so one and a half syringes for lyric, for 9 day course, i cant work out your other bun till you have her weight,

you can ask your vet to help you work it out to be sure

would really dbl check that actually as i use the same for my dutch, but it was worked out via vets at a slightly higher does anyway as he is prone to worms strangely while the others have never had them

Last edited:
If you are doing just the preventative 9 day course then for each rabbit you will need:

Rabbit Weight--------"graduations" required-----number of syringes required
< 2.5kg--------------9------------------------1/2 (half)
2.5kg - 5kg----------18-----------------------1
5kg - 7.5kg (lyric)--27-----------------------1 1/2 (one and a half)
7.5kg - 10kg---------36-----------------------2

And it is cheapest from here:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1105

So for lyric you need one and a half syringes. If your other rabbit is less than 2.5kg then he needs one half and so for both of them you would need 2 syringes. Simples ;)

I always keep a few spare in my cupboard just incase.

see now where are you getting those guides, its not written on my panacur leaflet,

least it looks like im right though :D

It is no longer recommended to do a 9 day course a number of times a year for EC purposed but rather a one off 28 day course for all buns once with bleach cleaning on days 21 and 28. Then you do it only if you introduce a new bun, your buns come in to contact with other buns ie holiday boarding or if any show signs of active EC.

It is no longer recommended to do a 9 day course a number of times a year for EC purposed but rather a one off 28 day course for all buns once with bleach cleaning on days 21 and 28. Then you do it only if you introduce a new bun, your buns come in to contact with other buns ie holiday boarding or if any show signs of active EC.

So how much do i need for that:shock::shock:

Is there any other way of doing it other than to buy the tubes? Ive just rung the vets they said thats all they have for rabbits but its £5.00 a tube im going to need loads:shock:

I think some people use the cat one which is more economical but not so readily eaten (best check that) I have a feeling it is liquid where the rabbit one is paste.

Is there any other way of doing it other than to buy the tubes? Ive just rung the vets they said thats all they have for rabbits but its £5.00 a tube im going to need loads:shock:

Panacur 10% liquid

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=175

0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days if treating for EC

0.2ml/kg/day (although some Vets do 0.3ml/kg/day) for 5 days if treating for intestinal worms

ETA Given that there was a confirmed case of EC where potential new Bun is coming from I would definately treat all Rabbits with a 28 day course.

Last edited:

You can buy the Panacur 10% solution but the doses are more complicated because that's mean for cats and dogs and doesn't give a rabbit dosage on the packet.

As for whether you do 9 or 28 days, I believe 9 days is still the manufacturers recommendation and I think the RWAF are still investigating the different options.

Panacur 10% liquid

0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days if treating for EC

0.2ml/kg/day (although some Vets do 0.3ml/kg/day) for 5 days if treating for intestinal worms

ETA Given that there was a confirmed case of EC where potential new Bun is coming from I would definately treat all Rabbits with a 28 day course.

How many bottles would i need? Also ive only just had a massive order from there was delivered yesterday and today:lol::lol:
Do i need to treat outdoor rabbits as they dont come into contact with indoor ones?

How many bottles would i need? Also ive only just had a massive order from there was delivered yesterday and today:lol::lol:
Do i need to treat outdoor rabbits as they dont come into contact with indoor ones?

My personal opinion is that every Rabbit should have a one off 28 day course of Panacur :)

As to how many bottles you'd need-well there's 100ml in a bottle and you'd need to calculate the weight of all your Rabbits to see how much in total you'd need. The liquid will always work out alot cheaper than the paste.

I used 1 bottle and that did 6 buns (all under 2.5kg) with loads to spare.

Personally if you've never done any of your buns I would go them all.

Is it safe to use a dog and cat one?:? She said at the vets they had a liquid but not for rabbits?

It contains EXACTLY the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) . Its just that the paste isn't licenced for Rabbits. But that does not mean it's not safe :)

Back