• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat flaps question.

mia'n'patch

Alpha Buck
How easy/hard did you find it training your buns to use a cat flap?

At the moment I have a lifty up bit on the side of the shed which I put down whenever weather is bad, or buns need to be shut away. However, Homer likes sitting his fat backside on the flap when open and he keeps bending and breaking the hooks i put in to keep it open. Subsequently, I occassionally come down in the morning to find he's shut himself and Patch out.
Am planning on putting a cat flap in to stop this, but would like to know if the buns will learn to use it ok.

And any tips on how to persuade them to use it would be appreciated.

Three of my buns just copied my cat, they all picked it up straight away and I have never had a problem with any of them using it :) Trip loves going in and out even when the door is open :lol: Going through the cat flap seems to be a game to him

Beau I showed how to use it because he had no interest in following my cat into the garden :lol: But he was already clicker trained to come to me when I called his name so it was really easy. I just held the flap part up the first few times and called him through the door and he came in, then let go of the flap and called and he was totally fine using it

Hmmm, unfortunately I don't have a cat they could copy and the dog is far too fat to squeeze through a cat flap! :lol:

I've never tried clicker training with them, but they do come running if I call. If they're still wary i could try shaking their pellet bucket or treat ball from the other side. Their tummys override most fears!

Back