• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spike *update*

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Back at the Vets at 12 with Spike :(. He hasn't been right since the last dental and is nowhere near his normal self, I'm so worried. Despite Bio-Lapis, there's another revolting smelling cow pat this morning (I was warned that it would take a while :oops:). It's the hunched upness and disinterest in food that I'm worried about as that is so unlike him. Off to find a face mask to wear whilst I clean his butt.........

Last edited:
Spike is one very poorly bunny :(:(:(. His guts are totally screwed and he had diarrhea which can be fatal for buns and he's dehydrated, lost weight, guts are empty and another spike on a tooth:(:(:(. He's had sub-cut fluids and a cocktail of drugs and I've to syringe feed him food as well as give him more drugs. Can't do anything about the tooth until his guts are back to normal and he has some weight on him again (poor mite is only 1.3kg).

Please send my precious boy healing vibes

How did I miss this Jill :shock: :cry:

I am so sorry to hear that Spike is a poorly chap :cry:

I really hope that he will feel better very soon xx

I was working the late shift so came home halfway through it to give him more meds and syringe him some more recovery slop. He resisted and fought his way out of the towel (which is good in a way as it shows he can still be feisty). Managed to get some down him (although more on my uniform :oops:).

So I'm back home from work now and he's trying to eat by himself.... failing but at least trying. Thought I'd let him do that for a while before hitting him with the slop again.

Uncle Ivan (the Vet) is at a conference tomorrow so Spike will be seeing Auntie Kate... I'm so lucky to have rabbit savvy Vets to hand.

Thanks for all your messages xxx

If you went to a rodentologist they could cut the spikes and fille his teeth down for you, Often cheaper than the vets (only costing fuel usually) and they dont knock the animal out. Which means they are ok to be done even if the animal is poorly. Just somthing to consider although im sure sombody will tell me im wrong :roll:

If you went to a rodentologist they could cut the spikes and fille his teeth down for you, Often cheaper than the vets (only costing fuel usually) and they dont knock the animal out. Which means they are ok to be done even if the animal is poorly. Just somthing to consider although im sure sombody will tell me im wrong :roll:

Ivan is very skilled at doing conscious dentals and has done them on one of my other buns (Totti)... unfortunately Spike does not co-operate and is too much of a wriggle bum.

Thanks for the advice though (even if it doesn't help in this case, it may in another)

Yes i can relate with wriggle bums lol! I really hate the idea putting a bunny under for teeth though :( Hope he clears up soon. Did they suggest 2 hrly feeds for him? Somtimes little and often is better than big loads. I have a rather fussy bun! Also with tooth problems. Just figured if it really really needs doing and hes too poorly it may be worth a thought.

Yes i can relate with wriggle bums lol! I really hate the idea putting a bunny under for teeth though :( Hope he clears up soon. Did they suggest 2 hrly feeds for him? Somtimes little and often is better than big loads. I have a rather fussy bun! Also with tooth problems. Just figured if it really really needs doing and hes too poorly it may be worth a thought.
Yes, little and often was the advice given. Unfortunately I have quite a responsible job so wasn't able to quit it for the whole shift tonight hence the sciving off halfway to feed him, but have done so tomorrow so that I can force feed Spikums litttle and often all day (thank you God for dumping such a huge load of snow in Washington;))

spike

Back at the Vets at 12 with Spike :(. He hasn't been right since the last dental and is nowhere near his normal self, I'm so worried. Despite Bio-Lapis, there's another revolting smelling cow pat this morning (I was warned that it would take a while :oops:). It's the hunched upness and disinterest in food that I'm worried about as that is so unlike him. Off to find a face mask to wear whilst I clean his butt.........

has their been any facial radiographs,for a course of action.??.why won,t the dvm correct the teeth so he can chew hay correctly.??.definitely needs more hay to help with the poopy bum,...his disinterest in food could be pain.??,,infection>??..gi tract in distress,,,sincerely james waller:wave:

has their been any facial radiographs,for a course of action.??.why won,t the dvm correct the teeth so he can chew hay correctly.??.definitely needs more hay to help with the poopy bum,...his disinterest in food could be pain.??,,infection>??..gi tract in distress,,,sincerely james waller:wave:
He had his incisors out 4 years ago as they were severly misaligned. His back teeth do not meet, they are misaligned as well. I'd be interested to know how that can be corrected.

Back