• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet hutch? u/d all fixed :D

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Between the two of them, they have managed to soak the bottom of the hutch....despite it being full of litter trays. I think it's Marnie peeing over the edges of the trays :roll:
I really can't afford to replace the hutch at the moment, so I need to sort it out as soon as possible.
What I want to do is lino the bottom of the hutch, but I need it to dry first.
They get cleaned out every other day, and I've tried all sorts of things to dry it out.
I won't be able to move the hutch as it is too heavy, but there is plenty of space in their room so do you think it will be ok for me to set the crate up in their room and shut the hutch until it is dry? Or would it upset and confuse them?
any ideas?
x

Last edited:
Yup, it's in the utility room. Just to add as well, they NEVER get shut in the hutch or in their room, the hutch is just somewhere for their trays and water, and for Marnie eat her dinner without Blue stealing it :roll::oops:

They do have a crate but it only really used for travelling or when I had a foster.
they both like to sit on top of the hutch, and I prefer the hutch to be honest as there is somewhere for them to hide away if they need to.
I can use the crate temporarily though if it wouldn't upset them too much.

I would go with keeping the hutch closed for a couple of days, seems the only way to save the hutch :?.

On a different note, have you found Marnie drinks a lot and has strong wee? Just curious, as Gracie drinks an awful lot (not medical she always has) and her pee is rancid (again not medical always has been), just wondered if it is her or an EL thing?

On a different note, have you found Marnie drinks a lot and has strong wee? Just curious, as Gracie drinks an awful lot (not medical she always has) and her pee is rancid (again not medical always has been), just wondered if it is her or an EL thing?

She does indeed. When she first came to us I was a little worried, but Liz said she was like that with her too. She definitely has stinky wee :oops:
She also lifts her tail REALLY high to wee as well...which is why I think she gets it everywhere. I would try a corner tray, but she doesn't seem to wee in the corner :roll:

She does indeed. When she first came to us I was a little worried, but Liz said she was like that with her too. She definitely has stinky wee :oops:
She also lifts her tail REALLY high to wee as well...which is why I think she gets it everywhere. I would try a corner tray, but she doesn't seem to wee in the corner :roll:

Yep, Gracie lifts her tail high too. She also refuses to pee in a normal tray :?. When she traveled up to us, she was in an indoor cage, and now the base is all she will pee in so she has the most massive litter tray :lol:

They have an under the bed box in the sleep bit and then 2 large trays back to back in the rest of the hutch (give you an idea of how big it is) they then have another under the bed box in the living room too.
maybe it is just a weird EL thing :lol: :roll: :love:

Its strange because the other English I have here is exactly the same. She is drinking loads and weeing everywhere :?

Its strange because the other English I have here is exactly the same. She is drinking loads and weeing everywhere :?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They are a funny bunch :love::love::love::love:

I've set the crate up now, so they'll just have to like it and lump it :oops:
I've put newspaper and an old towel in the hutch to help soak it up, and I've put a lino offcut round the edge of the box so she cant pee through the bars :love:

I'm not sure if Alexander drinks more because hes in a pair so its hard to tell but their hutch is by far and away the smelliest I've got so maybe he does have unusually smelly wee :?

Well, I left it untill last night when it was nice and dry, and then cut some of my leftover lino to fit (ish :oops: ) and used those plasctic coated sealant strips to stick it all down.
Doesn't look great...but fingers crossed it will keep the wee at bay!
Note to self though....I'm not sealing the bathroom :shock::oops:

Back