• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manuka honey info needed!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me where to buy/what concentration/how to use it for an internal abscess and for how long, or point me in the direction of a relevant thread?

Many thanks! :wave:

ooo i used this for my bridge bun ralph. i got it from the vets but you can get it in sainsbury's. ralph had a few scabs that had been there for weeks and i started placing the manuka honey on them and nearly within the week they where fully healed. it's amazing stuff. does wonders. :love:

My Manuka honey has 400mg/kg of methylglyoxal and came form the local health food shop.

To put in an abscess once it is cleaned out just squirt it in with a 1 ml syringe :)

It really depends on the abscess how long it is needed for

Sorry,I cant help you,all I know is we use it on our patients[human] at work.We have manuka gel & dressings for wound care.

When holly had her abcess we were told that we should get the honey with the highest UMF rating. Think we ended up with either the 10+ or 15+ from health food shop. I think the higher the UMF the thicker and stickier it is though. We struggled to get it to go through a syringe. Ended up just using my little finger, but then her abcess was near her eye and not massively deep.

It is wonderful stuff, really does work miracles. It earned her her nickname of Holly-Bear (after Pooh Bear and his love of honey!) :oops: We were warned that some buns like the taste and try to lick it off but neither Holly or her husbun were bothered, and Herm will try eat anything! Hope this helps :wave:

Hi . We had great success with our bridgebun Milly. She came to us with an abcess on each of her front feet. We struggled for ages to get it right but once we started the manuka honey treatment the improvement was rapid. I got the 15+ strength one from the health food shop( Holland and Barratt). I did try using a syringe to fill the wound, but found it much easier to use the end of a teaspoon. The routine was fairly simple:
Flushed the wound out with hibiscrub, patted it dry and then stuffed as much honey in as we could. Covered it with a meolin pad and then wrapped the foot with self-adhesive bandage. Hope that helps...:)

When Kermit had an abscess i used Manuka Honey with UMF 25+, was expensive, but done the trick!

Hmm..would it be better to buy a 500g or 250g? Not sure how much you use/how fast/how long it keeps...

I'd personally go for a small but expensive one, ie highest UMF you can afford. It does keep for a pretty long time (due to the antibacterial content).

Hmm..would it be better to buy a 500g or 250g? Not sure how much you use/how fast/how long it keeps...

Honey doesn't go off. Residues of honey found in jars in the pyramids was still deemed fit for consumption..so I guess you can ignore "Use By" dates:lol::lol:

Back