• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic shed... is it ok

Becky92

Young Bun
My naughty lionhead is currently in a 5x2 hutch. she is getting more difficult to get out now and i think its time to get her some new accomodation.

Would i be able to use my 6x4 plastic shed to keep her free range in...

i would board it up so she couldnt eat the plastic and put lino down. the sheds really clean and only a yr old

thanks in advance

Plastic doesn't have the same insulation that wood does, and I fear it'd be too cold, especially in this weather.

Mine are house bunnies....so I can't help more. Hopefully someone will! :)

I would opt for a wooden one, at that price you should be able to find something. I would worry in the summer it would act like a green house. And if your going to spend extra boarding it out you may as well just get a wooden one to begin with ?

Never heard of anyone keeping rabbits in anything plastic.

Not sure of any real harmful effects but I'd have to agree and say that I don't think it would be any use to you in the summer months as it would get extremely hot. Buns can't take extremes of temperature so normally you have to insulate a wooded shed/house/hutch against the sun - not sure you could do anything with one of these.

I also think that plastic would encourage condensation in the cold, whereas wood would help to 'soak' it up. Mould is a problem for rabbits causing infection so possibly made worse by plastic and moisture retention. You need accommodation that can breath.

I'd say you could do better with a regular shed or wendy house.

Never heard of anyone keeping rabbits in anything plastic.

Not sure of any real harmful effects but I'd have to agree and say that I don't think it would be any use to you in the summer months as it would get extremely hot. Buns can't take extremes of temperature so normally you have to insulate a wooded shed/house/hutch against the sun - not sure you could do anything with one of these.

I also think that plastic would encourage condensation in the cold, whereas wood would help to 'soak' it up. Mould is a problem for rabbits causing infection so possibly made worse by plastic and moisture retention. You need accommodation that can breath.
I'd say you could do better with a regular shed or wendy house.

Exactly what I was about to say. There would be no proper ventilation in a plastic shed, and they'd cook in the summer :(

Back