• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny leads/harnesses?

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone use them??:? I have seen them in PAH and stuff. I live in a ground floor maisonette so its a bit like a flat with stairs. B ut instead of a balcony I have a small front garden, so wanted to let bobby out (supervised of course) when it gets warmer:) Just wondered if the harnesses were any good?

I've used one for my bunny - he really doesnt like it going on but is happy enough when on it. He just doesnt get the going for a walk thing tho! He's happy to just skip wherever he wants in the garden - no route at all! Lol!

I'm going to get a run for the garden in the summer anyway.

If your bunny accepts it, then fair enough, but some just dont take to it at all. As Grin said, its more a case of you following your bunny where it wants to go than taking it for a walk.
I did notice that P@H have extendable cat leads, so if your bunny did take to it, maybe that sort of lead would work well?

personaly no, getting tangled, the sudden jump, resulting in injury to me doesnt bare thinking of,

if a harness doesnt work out, then how about buying a foldable run?
that way when your bun isnt out in it you can fold it away? :wave:

if a harness doesnt work out, then how about buying a foldable run?
that way when your bun isnt out in it you can fold it away? :wave:
Yeah thats the other option I was looking at, don't know whether she will go for a lead, have seen the cat leads, and bunny harness' looks quite fiddley, just don't think that she has the patience

Mops, my bridge bun, used to go on the harness and lead. She didnt mind it at all and it let her stretch her legs nicely.
However, If I try and do it with my two now :lol:. They would just hate it.

You can get easier ones to fit, Mops had one you just lopped around her legs.

personaly no, getting tangled, the sudden jump, resulting in injury to me doesnt bare thinking of,

Agree, I hate them as I've read about a few harness related injuries and heard of stories of the same. Bunnies can spook easily as we know and if they did this whilst on a harness, they can damage their limbs.

I know some people use them, it's like everything there will be stories to support both sides, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it.

Helen

When i first got the girls, i got them one of these:

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-18135-trixie-metal-enclosure-for-rabbits-guinea-pigs-cage.aspx

They are great and i got this one with the waterproof base as well (when i was toilet training them it was very useful :)). They are brill when you dont use them as an enclosure because you can take the panels apart and use them to bunny proof your room or attach them to the indoor cage to extend the cage and give them as much freedom as you can whilst you are out!

I think il get a bunny harness to see if they like it, as i would like to take them out into the garden but as we have foxes and a large number of cats that roam our garden.
fox.jpg

Back