• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed vs Hutch? Indoor vs Outdoor?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
At the moment both my buns are living indoors. The only thing is when I go to work I have to lock them both up in their homes which I hate doing. I live at home and although my dad would never be cruel to any animal (he looks after my brothers guineas extremely well) he hates the fact we have two buns running round the house and seriously frowns whenever they're both out. Especially since we have so many cream carpets.

The buns live in my room and currently have a trixie 150 each, I just don't feel it's big enough for the amount of time they have to spend in there and as a result it's leading me to feel extremely guilty. I hope nobody shouts at me this because I love them both dearly! And I know what I'm giving them at the moment isn't ideal :(

I adore having them inside and a night just wouldn't be the same without having Archie waking me up at 4am by sprinting round his cage BUT I want what's best for bunnies, not me.

So here's my dilema ... First of all I need to bond them but if this is successful ... Do I somehow try and convince my dad to let them be totally free range in one room, the kitchen for instance? Or should I consider putting them as outdoor bunnies when the weather starts to get warmer where they'll have plenty of room to binky about? In either a cage or shed (opinions on which).

I love my boys and I hate hate hate the idea of them going outside and being "away" from me but it's breaking my heart to not let them have the space that they need. I just fear that if not I'm going to end up giving them up to someone who can properly care for them and give them the costant space that they need. I'm filling up writing this! :(

:wave: i am in the same boat and have thought and thought about it alot, Sooty and oreo are currently indoors and I LOVE them being indoors, they are in a spare room with charlie in a seperate pen. They cant free-range as I rent and cant trust them not to eat everything in sight! I let them out every evening when I can keep an eye on them and go and play with them every night - and they are both so friendly for this reason - they have lots of interaction BUT
I 'think' I have decided to put them outside in the spring - that way they will have sooo much more room and they both really do like being outside - last summer when they were playing out in the garden there were sooo many binkies!

Being selfish I like them being indoors but I think they prefer to be outdoors. I will definetly get a shed - because mine have been used to a relatively big space I would not put them in a hutch. I have weighed up all the options, I have looked at every possible hutch/sged there is!!
A shed is cheaper and easier to clean and in the winter I can still go and sit out there with them without getting wet (though with lots of thermals), and will attach a large run to it aswell - I know they will love it - Ive been planning it for weeks! Im actually dreading them going out as I go and see them eveytime I go upstairs being outside I wont see them half as much..:( Its also fairer on Charlie who has a smallish pen - he is and always has been a house bunny so he will stay indoors but with Sooty and Oreo out - he can have the whole spare room!

That was a bit of a waffle - sorry :lol:

If you want to keep them inside can you bunnyproof your bedroom so they can be free in there? that way they will only nibble your things and no-one else's.

I have always had my buns in for winter and out for summer, so that they get the best of both worlds. You could have them out in the day and in at night so you still spend time with them but they are out and gradually develop a thicker coat, and can run around as much as they like when you are not there.

If they are outside for a few months it will give your Dad more time to get used to them being around generally, and you can be more set up for next winter.

If you want to keep them inside can you bunnyproof your bedroom so they can be free in there? that way they will only nibble your things and no-one else's.

I have always had my buns in for winter and out for summer, so that they get the best of both worlds. You could have them out in the day and in at night so you still spend time with them but they are out and gradually develop a thicker coat, and can run around as much as they like when you are not there.

If they are outside for a few months it will give your Dad more time to get used to them being around generally, and you can be more set up for next winter.

Unfortunatly that doesn't really give them any more space. I have a box room. I wish I could kick my brother out his room, it'd be perfect for the bunsters!

I earn enough to move out really but it seems like such a drastic move just because my dads a bit too worried about his carpet ... if he tells me one more time it was worth £2000 I'll scream! :lol:

Maybe outside is the best option :cry:

Plastic sheets on the floor with fleece ontop is suitable, perhaps free range in you room?

I've got a wooden floor so little accidents aren't a problem. It's just the avaliable floor space is only like a foot more than their cage! I've already give up all avaliable space to the bunsters!

Then downstairs we've got a special lino to put on the floor but my parents are extremely house proud so they don't like the "mess" that comes with all the bunnies stuff. Humph.

If they are going outside I would certainly look into a shed. I wish we'd bought a shed instead of a two tier hutch. You could at least sit in there and play with them. I feel guilty that ours are only getting a couple of hours a day in the run now because they have fallen out and can't be in it together.

Back