• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed asap

a.cotterill

Young Bun
you all know that my rabbit gave birth 4 days ago but i think shes still pregnant when she lays on her side i can see move ment and kicking is this possable? please any help would be great

I'm really no expert at all I'm afraid, but I do think that this is possible. I'm pretty certain a bun can carry 2 litters at once.

Has the male been removed? How is she coping with the babies? Is she indoors? I really hope someone who knows what they're talking about comes along soon.

she is indoors and shes only been with the male once it was a holiday romance(i was looking after him) shes restless but great mum too her other babies that are 4 days old what should i do?

I found this on another site:

"Yes, it's true. A rabbit has two lobes/horns to her uterus and it's possible for a rabbit to be impregnated once and then let's say the buck is still around her and she cant fight him off, he could breed with her and she can conceive in her other lobe. So she gives birth to the first litter and then in a few days or weeks later, she can give birth to the next litter."

I think it will depend when her second lot are due - though if they weren't around each other for long, then that could be pretty soon. It can't be that unusual for a twin pregnancy to occur, so I'm sure someone will be along soon with more comprehensive advice. I am not sure at what age you can safely remove the first babies so the second lot have a better chance.

god thats all i need more bloody baby rabbits should i put another nest box in would she cope with 2 litters should i take one out and hand feed?

Hand fed babies rarely survive so keep them together. Keep a close eye on her but they should come out soon if there was only one mating. If she is showing any signs of being ill she should go to the vet.

Whilst it could be the two horns it could also be a stuck baby. I wouldn't expect her to notice this. Unfortunately, this late on the womb can't reabsorb the babies, and, if they're stuck then they'll die, and mummify. (Luckily it's not like cats/dogs, where there's immediate problems for mum.

I wouldn't advise palpating her tummy, as you could damage the kits, but if at any point they stop moving take her straight to the vet for a check up, and probably an emergency spay.

I only know of this happening when the doe hadn't had any of the kits, so I have no idea what you could do with the babies.:( ......maybe someone has a lactating doe who could foster them?:?

I can't see how she would be carring a second litter if it was a one off accidentaly mating? Sure its not wind :lol: I think if it was a retained baby it would be causing problems by now wouldn't it? I would never recommend hand feeding its so difficult even to someone with expirence. She sounds like shes doing fine, if your worried just pop her to the vet but try not to be too long out with her don't want to stress her out regards leaving her babies.

hi ive taken domino to vet they said they can carry two littler at once and they have two lobes what ever that is and that shes healthy and babys are moviing inside her he just said wait and see what happens but i do have hes number is anthink happens but the fact that shes eating pooing and just happy in herself is good.

thing i dnt understand they where only togever like 10 mins max!

illl keep it updated thanx for all your help

Back