• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental advice, strange occurence

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi, one of my rabbits goes to the vet every 4-5 weeks to have his front teeth filed down as the bottom 2 are in front of the top 2 and so are not wearing down. Well he is fine with it and the vet said he doesn't get stressed so unless he gets really stressed to continue the filing and not the last resort of removing the teeth.

Another rabbit i have had to be taken in to the vets early last month to have some of his back teeth filed. This rabbit took a few days to recover but the strange thing i noticed just an hour ago is not exactly the same problem as the first rabbit but sort of like it. I noticed that only one of his bottom front teeth is starting to go in front of the top one while the other is normal like on our other rabbits without the problem. So a vet trip is going to take place about that. My question is as i think we have caught it early and it is only one of the teeth that looks problematic could the problem tooth be filed down to the point where it is behind the top teeth and left to see if it grow normally like the other one is? The vets tried something similar with the first rabbit but it did not work (most likely because it was both of the bottom teeth). Has anyone else tried this at the vets and did it work?

It is common that overgrowth of the back teeth leads to a change in the angle of the lower jaw as the back teeth being long prevents complete closure of the mouth. This can alter the angle that the front teeth meet and lead to overgrowth and potentially alter angle of growth slightly.
There is a reasonable chance that this can correct now that the back teeth should be normal now, combined with shortening and reshaping the abnormal front teeth as often as required.

Hi, one of my rabbits goes to the vet every 4-5 weeks to have his front teeth filed down as the bottom 2 are in front of the top 2 and so are not wearing down. Well he is fine with it and the vet said he doesn't get stressed so unless he gets really stressed to continue the filing and not the last resort of removing the teeth.

Another rabbit i have had to be taken in to the vets early last month to have some of his back teeth filed. This rabbit took a few days to recover but the strange thing i noticed just an hour ago is not exactly the same problem as the first rabbit but sort of like it. I noticed that only one of his bottom front teeth is starting to go in front of the top one while the other is normal like on our other rabbits without the problem. So a vet trip is going to take place about that. My question is as i think we have caught it early and it is only one of the teeth that looks problematic could the problem tooth be filed down to the point where it is behind the top teeth and left to see if it grow normally like the other one is? The vets tried something similar with the first rabbit but it did not work (most likely because it was both of the bottom teeth). Has anyone else tried this at the vets and did it work?

It is common that overgrowth of the back teeth leads to a change in the angle of the lower jaw as the back teeth being long prevents complete closure of the mouth. This can alter the angle that the front teeth meet and lead to overgrowth and potentially alter angle of growth slightly.
There is a reasonable chance that this can correct now that the back teeth should be normal now, combined with shortening and reshaping the abnormal front teeth as often as required.

I'm a little confused, he had his back teeth filed down early january and his front teeth were both fine. It is only now that the left bottom front tooth is starting to go in front of the top one (it was the left side where the back teeth were causing problems). It has been a month since the tooth filing so i don't understand how it has taken this long to suddenly change angle? Don't get me wrong i see what you are saying but it is baffling. Until i noticed the tooth starting to grow wrong his front teeth were no problem and the vet said this. I'll be taking him to see them soon and find out what's going on.

Just another question, i was wondering if anyone else has had rabbits getting dental problems at around 2-2.5 years just suddenly? I've always been told that dental problems are present from birth and are seen at about 6 months. The rabbits all went to the vets before they were 6 months and we got told had really good teeth and no signs of dental trouble.

Back