• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chalky wee - guilty veg?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric's wee seems rather cloudy and chalky. not lumpy, just a tiny bit powdery (yes, i have just stuck my finger in a fresh wee to check:oops:).

am i right in thinking that it could be calcium so i should cut out higher calcium veg?

eric's a fussy moo when it comes to veg as there aren't many types he'll try. he eats sweetheart or green cabbage, broccoli, fine green beans, curly kale occasionally and a few different herbs.

would the broccoli and curly kale be the veg i should remove from his diet?

Kale is high in calcium, broccoli too I think. What pellets do you use?

You could also try to get him to take some more fluids. Try a dash of boiling in to take the chill off it and let him have it in a bowl (mine love it like this).

I wouldnt say to remove them, especially if they are the only veg he will eat. Id give the kale maybe once/twice a week :) The other veg should be ok :)

I would ere on the side of caution with the broccoli as some buns can find this quite gassy.

Kale is high in calcium, broccoli too I think. What pellets do you use?

You could also try to get him to take some more fluids. Try a dash of boiling in to take the chill off it and let him have it in a bowl (mine love it like this).

he has science selective pellets:)

I wouldnt say to remove them, especially if they are the only veg he will eat. Id give the kale maybe once/twice a week :) The other veg should be ok :)

he only decided he liked broccoli and kale when he lived with esme so i'll def limit the kale :)

he has science selective pellets:)

I think that is one of the ones that is higher in calcium. Mine were on this but have changed them to Oxbow Bunny Basics T. It might be worth considering if it continues.

One of mine had bladder sludge (had to be flushed out) when they were on these - can't be 100% sure but have not had a problem since changing their pellets.

Also we only give kale and broccoli 1 / 2 times a week at the most. They mainly get spring cabbage which seems to suit them.

I think that is one of the ones that is higher in calcium. Mine were on this but have changed them to Oxbow Bunny Basics T. It might be worth considering if it continues.

One of mine had bladder sludge (had to be flushed out) when they were on these - can't be 100% sure but have not had a problem since changing their pellets.

Also we only give kale and broccoli 1 / 2 times a week at the most. They mainly get spring cabbage which seems to suit them.

i tried them both on oxbow t recently as they're both dental buns. neither bun would eat it:( esme tipped her dish over and eric just sniffed and turned his nose up at them. i even tried mixing a few in with their ss pellets and dried herbs. both buns picked out the herbs and ss:?

i'm sure my 2 are sent to try me!

no matter what veg i feed Pearl does chalky pee when ive been too generous with the pellets in the day. i think the diruretics are flushing her out, vet said not to worry about it.. better out than in. im more worried about her poops being a bit pongy, i think her organs are probably starting to suffer from the drugs shes on.. chalky pee really seems minor these days to me :oops:

if i was you id just cut the pellets down and maybe switch one of the veg to something else.

ive already changed from broccoli to cucumber and kale to romaine lettuce but i still see chalky pee when ive given more pellets than i should lol

no matter what veg i feed Pearl does chalky pee when ive been too generous with the pellets in the day. i think the diruretics are flushing her out, vet said not to worry about it.. better out than in. im more worried about her poops being a bit pongy, i think her organs are probably starting to suffer from the drugs shes on.. chalky pee really seems minor these days to me :oops:

if i was you id just cut the pellets down and maybe switch one of the veg to something else.

ive already changed from broccoli to cucumber and kale to romaine lettuce but i still see chalky pee when ive given more pellets than i should lol

do you feed science selective? i've cut down on the broccoli and kale now. i hope reducing the calcium may help to prevent possible future problems.

Back