• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Micralax (enema) for rabbit?

jenzel5

Mama Doe
Just thought i'd put this as a separate thread but it has been suggested to use Micralax (micro enema) for Hayden. Has anyone seen this used for a rabbit before and was it ok? The vets say it is worth trying and shouldn't do her harm but was just wondering before I do give her it because I can't find info anywhere about rabbits.

No experience with any of my Rabbits but it's something I'd consider.

Not sure I'd feel happy doing it away from the Vet's Surgery though :?

i agree with Jane - rabbits have incredibly delicate GI systems - which is why they commonly bleed slightly after taking a rectal temperature. As Hayden's guts are probably generally quite inflammed and weak the risks are even higher. If its something your vet reckons might help, i'd definately get it done at the surgery and not at home - it needs a skilled and practiced person to do it.

I, personally, wouldnt be happy doing this at home.It is really easy to perforate bunny bowel walls with fatal consequences.The bunny would probably need sub cut fluids as well as the action of microlax is to draw fluid from surrounding tissue into the poo to soften it so your bunny may become dehydrated :(

That's fine. Im not sure yet. The vet would do it, I meant before I made a decision to give her it or not. Ive just brought her home from the vets. One vet said they wouldn't and 2 said it is worth a try. She is still bright and everyone said they can't believe she is still going this strong. She is still obviously ill but still sniffing her surroundings and chewing things when I give her meds. Oh and she nibbled one of the nurses who tried to give her mouth a little clean, little devil. :love: She is already having subcut fluids.

I think its amazing that she is still trying to be a normal bunny, she must be pretty tough despite it all. So i would say that its unlikely that this will resolve on meds alone, otherwise i think you'd see progressive improvement rather than this rollercoaster effect. So i agree, i think its worth a try, especially if she doesnt show significant and continued improvement soon. Big hugs to you - you're doing so amazingly well xxxx

That's fine. Im not sure yet. The vet would do it, I meant before I made a decision to give her it or not. Ive just brought her home from the vets. One vet said they wouldn't and 2 said it is worth a try. She is still bright and everyone said they can't believe she is still going this strong. She is still obviously ill but still sniffing her surroundings and chewing things when I give her meds. Oh and she nibbled one of the nurses who tried to give her mouth a little clean, little devil. :love: She is already having subcut fluids.

Have they run any bloods today to see what her Liver/Kidney function is like now ?

I think its amazing that she is still trying to be a normal bunny, she must be pretty tough despite it all. So i would say that its unlikely that this will resolve on meds alone, otherwise i think you'd see progressive improvement rather than this rollercoaster effect. So i agree, i think its worth a try, especially if she doesnt show significant and continued improvement soon. Big hugs to you - you're doing so amazingly well xxxx

Thank you. I think I will see how she does tonight and maybe try it tomorrow then. I'm just concerned that there isn't really any info about it being used for rabbits and I don't want to make her feel worse.:?

Have they run any bloods today to see what her Liver/Kidney function is like now ?

No we haven't. It hadn't occurred to me to run more blood. I think at this stage the vets are suggesting any treatment that could possibly help, despite any risks as her prognosis isn't very good. Do you think this would be a good idea then? Her kidney function was fine to begin with.

No we haven't. It hadn't occurred to me to run more blood. I think at this stage the vets are suggesting any treatment that could possibly help, despite any risks as her prognosis isn't very good. Do you think this would be a good idea then? Her kidney function was fine to begin with.

I'm thinking more about her Liver function tbh-ie Hepatic Lipidosis :?

Also, I am assuming that the Vet has established that there is actually impacted matter in her caecum ? I am wondering if the CVA she is thought to have had has actually effected the innervation of her caecum, a sort of dysautonomia :? If this were to be the case then I would have thought that an enema is unlikely to give any longterm benefits :?

Has she had an abdominal U/S today to try to see if there is actually any impaction for an enema to clear ?

I'm thinking more about her Liver function tbh-ie Hepatic Lipidosis :?

Also, I am assuming that the Vet has established that there is actually impacted matter in her caecum ? I am wondering if the CVA she is thought to have had has actually effected the innervation of her caecum, a sort of dysautonomia :? If this were to be the case then I would have thought that an enema is unlikely to give any longterm benefits :?

Has she had an abdominal U/S today to try to see if there is actually any impaction for an enema to clear ?

I understand what you are saying. Her x-rays showed impaction above the caecum. The reason we are wanting to try this is if the mucous is causing a plug effect it would help, which we can't know for sure. I would have thought that the x-ray would show what we needed to know :?. As I said, this is a last resort, it is not guarunteed it will help, hence my dilemma. :?

I understand what you are saying. Her x-rays showed impaction above the caecum. The reason we are wanting to try this is if the mucous is causing a plug effect it would help, which we can't know for sure. I would have thought that the x-ray would show what we needed to know :?. As I said, this is a last resort, it is not guarunteed it will help, hence my dilemma. :?

I guess that things are pretty much in the last chance saloon now and if the Vet feels it is worth a try then I'd take his/her advice.
What an awful week you have both had :cry:

Back