• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not had rabbit before - question re hutch cover

Jane Rooms

Young Bun
Hi, I have not owned rabbits before and am looking into everything I need to purchase before going to the rescue for two rabbits. I have found a hutch that I think is suitable but it is quite pricey, I had hoped to find a hutch cover that wasn't too expensive but they all seem very costly. I wondered if someone could help me with a couple of questions, is the cover to keep them safe or to keep them dry, can alternatives be used to a custom made one, I read somewhere about someone using an IKEA shower ie cutting it up and placing over the front at night. If anyone could explain a bit more about why a cover is used and recommend the best course of action for me I would appreciate it. Might be I need to splash out on a cover but if there is a cheaper alternative I would be interested.

Thanks

Hiya and welcome to the forum :wave:

The hutch cover tends to be for warmth and to keep the inside of the hutch dry. When we thought our buns were going outside (they ended up as indoor buns as I couldn't part with them :roll:), I looked at getting a proper cheap Wilko duvet and some plastic sheeting to go over it. Staple the duvet into the sheeting so it stays dry and Bob's your uncle!

What hutch are you looking at?

More importantly, what buns are you looking at? :lol:

Hello and welcome :wave:

Before settling on a hutch I would approach the rescue you want to adopt from and find out their accommodation requirements as most will have a minimum size and most will require a permenantly attatched run.

Many people find it cheaper in the long run to go for a shed and run or an aviary style arrangement. Rabbits need lots of space and can live for maybe 12 years so consider the accommodation an investment - many hutches on the market are poor quality and will not last 2 winters.

There are other alternatives to hutch covers - I use pvc backed picnic blankets so you get some warmthe and waterproofing, I top that with some plastic sheeting if there is heavy rain.

The run could have a correx roof to keep it dry - these are easily made with some timber an correx panel (corrugated stiff clear plastic).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Biscuits Mum

Thanks for your reply, do you mean cut the duvet to the same size as the sheeting and then staple and attach, sounds like a good idea, do you then just cover the front of the hutch rather than the whole of the hutch and am I right in thinking you leave a bit of a gap between the front of the hutch and the cover bit - so the air can get in, probably sound like stupid questions but just want to make sure I get it right.

I am looking at the Sykes Rabbit Hutch and Combo - either 4 or 5 by 2 foot, looks like a nice sized hutch and run but not cheap in that size, we can't have them inside as we have cats, did talk to the lady at the rescue and she said that having rabbits with cats is fine but obviously not both living in the house, my daughters have wanted to have rabbits for ages but completely new experience for me, but I am an animal lover and looking forward to having two rabbits.

There are loads of bunnies on the rescue site and the girls have seen a lionhead and harlequin that are bonded that look favourate at the moment.

Been researching everything I need to get and to do online so we are well prepared!

Thanks Dusty Rabbit

Thanks for your reply, the lady at the shelter advised no less that 4 foot by 2 foot, I have found one at The Happy Hutch Company and they make hutches for the RSPCA so I feel reassured by that, there are so many to choose from and having looked around a bit on the net I can see some are definately better than others. PVC backed picnic blanket sounds like a good idea, where would I buy one of those from as I don't think I have seen them before?

I think you can get the picnic mats at Asda, Homebase, Tesco and Dunelms at the right time of year - probably be around soon.

That hutch size sounds pretty small to me - what rescue is it? I think most require 6 x 2 x 3 minimum with permenantly attatched run especially for a pair. This allows room for the rabbit to stretch up and binky and for litter trays and toys/tunnels etc. Some RSPCA centres and Animal Welfare Trust centres sell 6x2x2 hutches and runs about £100 each at our local centre.

Why not do a search on here and look at the lovely homes members have created for their buns you'll be amazed!

I would definitely get your DIY hat on, you can make something brilliant and huge for a fraction of the cost, or you can find some good ones on ebay, if you are careful.

Thanks - probably not described hutch very well

I think it should be okay, I will definately go for the 5 foot one now after your guidance, so it will be the five foot by two foot hutch with the run underneath which is five foot by four foot, does that sounds alright ??? It will cost about £130. I then planned in the summer to buy an attachment run for it to make it even bigger for the bunnies? But I will also look around the site and try the local centres as £100 seems very reasonable, as for DIY - I wish hubby and I could make one but we are the worlds worst at any form of DIY !!!

Don't think that the hutch sounds big enough- the ramp will take away a lot of floor space, and 5x2 isn't really big enough anyway. Have you considered convertiong a shed, or you could get a 6x2 hutch from your local RSPCA centre for around £100 (they would still need a run though)

I bought a 6ft x 2ft double storey house which said it was RSPCA reccommended. Contacted the RSPCA to adopt a couple of rabbits and they said it was too small - it had to be 6ft x 2ft 3inches. Was very disappointed not to be able to give a home to some rescued rabbits. Had to go to a breeder in the end!!

Back